I like Cleaned Coins and you should to thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbrklyn, Apr 29, 2012.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Oh it'll get dirt off. But soap of any kind is one of the worst things you can ever use on a coin. That's because soap leaves a residue behind, on the coin. And over time that residue will have an adverse effect on the coin.

Try xylene. If that doesn't work, I'd give up.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I am wondering if silver oxide is considered toning. I soaked this mercury dime shortly in alcohol and then in distilled water for a while to get the brown stuff off but it didn't come off. I did notice some of the black color did come off but it is still black. Is this black stuff desirable newmercury.jpg

4. buddy16cat

Actually, now that I look it this picture alot that came off appears to be crud. The color remains.

5. buddy16cat

I used shampoo on my copper Lincoln Memorial pennies and they come out and clean and shiny. Of course I only do this to pennies not worth anything outside of maybe their copper content. I wouldn't consider to do that with my older coins. They best I do to them is wipe off the flips.

6. areich

areich America*s Darling

Why?

7. areich

areich America*s Darling

Hello

That looks good for a Roosevelt dime.

Mandy

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I think that Dime is a Mint error.

9. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

What does "wipe them off the flips" mean?

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Come on, read what it says.

11. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I wouldn't consider to do that with my older coins. They best I do to them is wipe off the flips.

what is wipe off the flips?

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

OK, here we go: Some people keep coins in clear mylar containers called flips. If the flips get dirty, it is not considered cleaning to take a cloth and wipe any debris from the holder called a flip. This means not removing the coin and would not be considered "harsh cleaning".

13. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

14. areich

areich America*s Darling

Hello

Some people keep them in PVC flips and then you have to clean them after a number of years.

Amanda

15. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

If it's glue, then I can't believe that acetone did not cut it at all. If acetone didn't budge it, then I doubt WD-40 will do any better (the active ingredient will be an organic solvent, but other contents may damage or leave residue on coin surface). You may have to resort to chipping, but there is something else that you may want to try first. Soak the coin in distilled water for couple of days and then toss it into the freezer. If there are any open spaces under the "glue", then some water may work it's way in there. The expansion of the water upon freezing may pop some of the solids off of the coin surface, or at least loosen it up a bit.

This could work even better if you have access to a vacuum pump. Place the coin in a container, evacuate the air, then let water flood in. Removing gas from pore spaces within the glue will allow water to enter more easily.

16. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

17. areich

areich America*s Darling

So then she should remove the glue with a super solvent? I will say this. if this was museum artifact, and deems valuable for the collection, some means of removing the glue would be found, starting with a chemical analysis of the glue. preserving the artistic intent and original vision as much as possible is the primary goal. If left to natural decomposition, and bad treatment over centuries, most works of art would be virtually useless for their original purpose.

Amanda

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

How can i clean this?

stupid_nickel.jpg

19. buddy16cat

coins in flips

Flips I wipe.

barbers.jpg

Attached Files:

20. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

[​IMG]

This looks cleaned to me

21. buddy16cat

Really? They say the white-faced barber is cleaned but I didn't touch any of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted