I just called CSN (coin shopping network)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TheNoost, Jun 29, 2009.

1. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

And told them theat the guy selling the Morgans was misinformed. Morgans are not PURE silver, they are 90%. I kind of felt like the show is pre recorded with the way the operator started to answer. He then changed to tell me I was right and he will let them know. Then, about a min after I called, the salesman dropped a coin. Now I'm not sure if its live or pre-recorded. Thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Thought one: Very cool to call them on the carpet....they rip off a lot of people.

Thought two: What on earth are you doing watching that? Don't you know they rip off a lot of people? Do you no have a life?

;)

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Noost:
    Have you lost it?
    Or are you that desperate to see some coins for sale?

Subscribe to Coin World, and change the channel.

J/K

5. bama guy

bama guy Coin Hoarder

I think the guy mike explained it one night when he said something like the Morgans were composed of 90% pure silver and 10% pure copper or whatever. Sounded kind of logical the way he explained it:eat:

I think a lot of these coin shows replay a lot of stuff. I know the Coin vault does. Saw old chambers making the exact same erroneous statement on two different days. Tell you that Shawn guy is no Robert Chambers for sure.

It is best not to watch to much of this stuff but occasionally I do record it and fast forward through most of it. Sometimes I will watch a bit of it just to make me feel better about some of my purchased I made a few years ago (not from them) and paid to much for. At least I did not pay as much as these people.:D

6. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

You know, some times you just have to watch. Kind of like a train wreck, you can't help yourself. That and so you can piont and laugh.

7. SCNuss

SCNuss Senior Member

The shows must be live, since they display a running count of sales, including sellouts.

I do watch it occasionally, for laughs, as these guys hype their over-priced wares. P.T. Barnum was right.

8. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Usually sort of live but remember that few shows today are really live. Many have time delays built in for the oddball, wierdo people that they don't want on a live show. And many of the TV shows you are watching are all prerecorded and when you call in for some items, like those coins, you will still get them since not that many are really sold. The running counters are not always for real you know. Sort of a HURRY or you'll be to late gimmick.
    It is fun though to attempt to straighten them out but remember they really don't care about you if your not buying.

9. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Just making sure I wasn't going to miss it if they sold something for a fair price. LOL

10. Treashunt

Those shows and "fair price" shall never meet.

Kind of like parallel lines.

11. hrhomer

hrhomer Member

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I LOVE to watch the coin sellers on HSN or whatever, have a few drinks, and yell at the TV. It makes my wife laugh and laugh...

Joe

12. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

13. ahearn

ahearn Member

I've only bought one coin from TV but in this case I knew what I was paying for and why. The sale was the first offering of a treasure find ( I knew from recent news reports and details of the business deal that brought the coins to the TV show), that the coins were legit, were NGC certified, and that I liked the nice (expensive) box and booklet that came with it in case I wanted to give it away as a gift. I didn't look at it as an investment. I was very pleased with this particular purchase but would not generally buy from HSN unless it was something especially unique.

14. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

Yes, like the "Call in the next 20 minutes, because we can't do this all day!" (Sham-Wow)

15. immytay1

immytay1 Member

That guy on CSN is always making $ and its so funny that people will buy so much of something that is over priced by $100 or so like the 2006W $50 Gold buffalo he said this is as low as I can go when in a magazine it was only worth $1220 and he was selling it for $1399.95

16. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Frank....you always have something good to say! LOL! :thumb:

17. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah my mother in law gave me a catalog from the NY mint they got thru the mail over their house and that place even tops the tv auction on some things. They are making crazy money, all of them!!

Attached Files:

18. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I like watching those shows too. I have watched them in the middle of the night when I wake up and can't get back to sleep. Have had quite a laugh over it.

19. traumafindr

traumafindr The Seeker of Lincoln

i watch them to i would never buy from them though i am too
    ED GU MICATED[/SIZE] for that!!!!!

20. Treashunt

That is the question of the hour!

Or do you enjoy heartburn?

21. donnyb

donnyb Member

How many different coin sellers are their out there in TV land? Robert Charles, Coin Vault-Scott
    Haulk CV- Jimmy Gerstel Treasurer Hunter- ?, CSN- That the ones I see ooccasionally, and they have one thing in comon, OUTRAGEOUS PRICES, Oh yea Hillybilly Don

Draft saved Draft deleted