I found a 1944 Steel Penny. Is it real?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by indyfinn, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Sorry, no core of zinc until 1982. 1944 cents were 95% Cu/5% Zn alloy, not plated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. largecent37

largecent37 Coin Collector

I recently came across a 1945 "steel." It stuck to a magnet, but not as much as a 1943. As I have no scale that measures such light items, I recommend seeing how much it sticks.

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

By transitional error I meant a coin struck in one year on a planchet intended for a different year. (Much like a 1965 dated quarter struck on a silver quarter planchet). Alan Herbert refers to it in his book as "Struck on wrong series planchet" I think.

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Pure nickel, the kind you would plate onto a cent, is magnetic. The 25% nickel, 75% copper alloy used in US nickels and clad coinage is non-magnetic. (Older Canadian nickels were pure nickel, and were attracted to magnets.)

If this cent is showing copper around the edges, and is attracted to a magnet ,but not as strongly as a 1943 cent, I think you've got all the evidence you need to label it nickel-plated. I'd hang onto it as an interesting example.

6. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

You don't have to have a popsicle stick to do the balance test. As long as you have a pencil and something sturdy enough to hold the weight of the coin will work! I have already used an index card to tell the difference between 1982 cents

7. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

never mind, someone said it first.

However, I am willing to state that I believe it is most likely plated. however, I hope it turns out real, if only just because that would be cool

8. indyfinn

indyfinn New Member

If it is plated can someone explain to me why it was plated? Was it meant to be faked by plating it or was it done by the mint for some reason? And if it is just plated is it worth anything more than a story? Such an interesting little coin :) but I do hope it is real whatever it is

9. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

Well, the plating comes from the re-plating of steel pennies of normal years by those who think if it looks shiny its worth more. they put more zinc, the original shiny thing, on the coin, or even some other metal that was never part of the coin. However, if yours was just a normal 44 penny, it could not be replated with zinc, as it had not had zinc in the first place. that is the idea of the plating.

10. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

11. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

I know for a fact that some guy in my area plates 1944 cents with steel and sells them as 'novelty' pieces.

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

For a curiosity piece, maybe to show at a coin club or to a coin buddy. Many others had a 1943 steel cent copper plated for the same reason.

Was not done by the mint. It was chemically plated, and there is no record of such equipment in the mint. Someone knew what they were doing by picking a 1944 cent.

Just a cent.

There are real 1944 year steel cents. Some as "transitional errors", some possibly as on foreign planchets.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20021010175535/http://www.wayneherndon.com/admin/steel1944.htm

The best way to separate the plated 1944 from steel cored cents is by weight. The Steel cent of 1943 weighed 2.689 or 2.754 with tolerance overlapped, the 1944 Belgian 2 Fr. piece weighed 2.69 and 2.75, tolerances overlapped , so could not be told from each other.

So if the cent in question weighs between 2.55 ( 0.13g tolerance) and 2.88, you do not have a plated 1944 95% copper cent. If it weighs over 2.98 ( 3.11-0.13) then you have a plated 1944 cent.

Careful weight is needed, and not by comparison with other cents as their weight may vary. Take the coin to a jeweler , pharmacist, or science teacher and ask them to carefully weigh in grams.

Jim

13. indyfinn

indyfinn New Member

Thanks Jim! That helps a ton

14. dannic113

dannic113 Member

I am not a musician and know very little about guitars in general other than playing two chords in other words an know little amateur but I have my uncles "holy grail" of guitars a 1939 D-28 martin. In fact that's how some amazing finds be it antique toys or coins, stamps etc. are finally found because people aren't quite sure what they have until someone comes along and finds them or asks around and finds out about them. Moral of the story don't judge a book by it's cover. That being said I'd say it's a plated fake but here's to luck and fortune and it being a real one.

15. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

If I were going to fake a 1944 cent. I would drill some small holes in a flat area that I could put iron based metal in. Grind that smooth and plate the coin. Then I would have the same zinc plating as the 43 AND it would attract to a magnet. Years ago, those sold. People would spend a few dollars on one thinking they were putting one over on the seller. A classic con job. Remember back in the 50's $6000 would buy a new house ! A couple of dollars was a lot of money.

But, things are found all the time. I have found really good things roll searching. Check it out thoroughly before dismissing it.

Gooe Luck,

gary

16. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

If you learn who this is or how he plates with steel please post it here.

17. indyfinn

indyfinn New Member

DSC_0002.jpg Hi, thought you guys would get a kick out of seeing this. The one on the left is the 1943 steel penny and the one on the bottom right is the 1944 "steel" penny in question. I took this picture with the camera facing up towards the two coins and that magnet is just a cheap locker magnet I had back in high school with next to no power. I have not been able to get it weighed yet and won't be able to until I get back from a trip early next week but when I do I will give you guys all the answers that I get :)

18. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Can you post them with the obverses facing us on the magnet now?

I am just a skeptic btw.

19. indyfinn

indyfinn New Member

I am a skeptic myself cause when it seems to good to be true it usually is. Anyway I will post more pics this weekend when I have time

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Nickel plated cent. Enough nickel there to make it weakly magnetic.

Several possibilities, to fool someone, for use in jewelery, someone experimenting with electroplating, someone who works in a plating facility just goofing off. (People who work at plating facilities seem to get quite bored and they plate all kinds of things. Coins are a very common target.)

21. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

I saw an article that someone sold a 1944 cent claiming it was a rare 1944 steel cent. Once it was shipped to the buyer who bought it for 1000 dollars, the buyer realized it was faked. My point is, some people might create fakes to make money. As said by other buyers, it is quite shiny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.