Howdy

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Brute84, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Brute84

Brute84 New Member

Glad I found this site. I have been a collector off an on since I was around 10 or so (40 years ago).

My earlest memories of collecting involved waiting for my father to come home from work so that I could go through his change. Most of my collection of Lincolns, Jeffersons, and Roosevelts were pulled from circulation and carefully added to my blue Whitman books. At the time i had an allowance of a quarter/week and could not afford to save quarters. It was not until my mother bought me a subscription to CoinAge did I make my first coin purchases. I would peruse the magazine and find coins that i needed and could afford, then I would insert cash and coins into an envelope an await my new coins.

My collection never evolved much past that initial collection until I was a few years out of college. At that point i began collecting the more expensive coins to fill those initial collections out. Fast forward to my late 30's and I began to collect silver bullion coins which I have continued through today.

In my bullion (1 ounce) collection I have:
    - Complete set of PR69 Silver Eagles. My only slabbed coins.
    - Complete set of Silver Pandas, minus many variations. (just discovered the variations 2-3 years ago ---- I will add as many of those as i can) ---- proceeding with caution here
    - Complete set of Silver Britannias (97-present)
    - Complete set of Kookaburras
    - Complete set of Koalas
    - Complete set of Philharmonics
    - Complete set of Mapleleafs with about 1/4 of the variations. Working on them.
    - Most of the proof Libertads except for 5 dates. I do have two 1983 proofs, one as a single, the other as part of a packaged set. Libertads are my favorites. Very difficult to collect due to scarcity. Used to get them easily on eBay whenever one appeared. But now a couple of new ebayers have arrived and are willing to pay way over value for them. I lose auctions regularly to them, and have to wait for seconds and thirds.
    - Mexican Series I 10 Peso coins (lack about 12). Even more difficult to find. Most of my collection came from a single ebayer who apparently had the whole series.
    - Bahama Two dollar coins 1966,1969-1981, 89,91: Coins actually minted by the Franklin Mint, still attractive coins.
    - New Zealand All Black coins (both variations), I have multiples of these. Way over priced but I like them anyways. BTW, if you ever buy any of these, buy them from the NZ mint. The exchange rate is very good. You will get them a lot cheaper then domestically.
    - A few other types of unique silver coins.

As you can see, I am probably an undiagosed obssesive compulsive:)

I'll probably add Mexican Series II 10 Peso state coins eventually, assuming I can find any at reasonable prices. I think that i enjoy collecting the hard to find coins because it brings the joy of the hunt back to me, that I once felt as a child Today, most of the coins I want, I can now afford (I do not have expensive taste) , it becomes mostly just a business transaction --- it lacks the hunt and the discovery.

Long introduction, I know. But i will soon be venturing into junk silver, silver bars and the hobby of metal detecting.

brute84
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball Cannot Re-Member

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Chris
  4. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

:welcome:glad you can join us :thumb: