How to tell if a coin is silver?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by charlienorth, Jan 23, 2010.

1. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

I was thinking that a circulated coin that is over 100 years old should have more signs of wear on the field. More dings and scratches , but there are not many. I think the low price made me a little suspicious also. For some reason all the pictures I take with my web cam automatically come out with a yellowish tint & the coin in question actually looks more like a clad coin than the other silver coins I have to compare it to.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It is quite common to find coins of this age and this type in similar condition, nor are they expensive.

I cannot say for sure that the coin is genuine, but as I said before, I can see nothing that would make me think it is not.

4. monetarium

monetarium Member

A coin dealer friend that has been in this business for ages, taught me a not-so scientific method to determine if a coin is made of silver; if you clink two real silver coins together (lightly of course) you'll get a distinctive, sharp tinkling; if on the other hand one of them is not silver (i.e. nickel, copper), you'll get a dull, "flat" tinkling. -Therefore you have to be sure that one of them is silver!- I've used it a couple of times (with other more scientific methods like using a scale) and it has been quite accurate.
    I hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Monetarium

Draft saved Draft deleted