how to grade a coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 0000, Apr 17, 2014.

1. 0000

0000 Member

i have a 1794 s-28 liberty cap cent, but someone has carved on the date 1777, face looks good and on the reverse "one cent" is visible but is merged with other details and the fraction is not visible. so i was wondering if the coin can be described as good or will if the carving makes the coin cull. thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Carvings do make coins ungradeable. To most people, that means "cull", although there are some people who collect engraved coins.

A coin like yours certainly still retains value, even if it's damaged. But, no, you can't honestly describe it as "good".

Got any pictures?

4. 0000

0000 Member

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Environmental damage and scrubbed to within an inch of it's life. Still cool though. :)

Come back 'details' if ya send it in........

6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Fine details due to enviro damage and the engraving still a reasonably attractive coin from the second year of the us mint

7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I could use all kinds of demonstratives to describe that coin, but very few would be considered good selling points. The truth is though that every cap is cool, so just describe it properly, it will have plenty of fans. Technical grade to me would be good details, environmental damage, tooled.

Draft saved Draft deleted