How much do you spend on AT coins?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JDLawrence, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Sorry JD, but that just isn't true. It isn't possible to obtain rainbow toned coins for greysheet. If you would like to read about some of the buying experiences from members of this site, please read the following thread.

The Toning Premium Thread

Here is a very entertaining and educational thread about the toned coin market.

The Rainbow Toned Coin Market: Journey of an 1881-S Morgan Dollar

And finally, read this thread and you will find that our opinion on what is AT might be closer than you think.

Rainbow Toned Market Alive and Well

Let me know your thoughts after you read them.

Paul

Morgandude11 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yeah, well at least I gave you the first opportunity. LOL!

Chris

Morgandude11 likes this.
  4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Could not agree more, Paul. When I have occasionally sold or traded one of my many toners, I have received sizable premiums that were very much in line with a hot market for said coins. Whoever forecasts the doom market for toned coins is very much misinformed.

Mainebill likes this.
  5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Me I'm as big as aficanado of toned coins as anyone And will pay a strong premium. These are for 19th c coins as I'm not into 20th c presidentials etc and these are for graded coins in quality tpg plastic (NGC pcgs or a coin that will cross to them) the toning needs to be eye appealing as this is how I collect show me the right coin with good color I'll play all day long as those who know me here know well!

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I like toned coins. and have learned my lesson with AT coins. it is safe to buy coins that are slabbed from TPG's that way you will know that they are NT. I think rainbow toned coins have character. I have a small collection of toned dimes and cents.

Mainebill likes this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I've gots a feeling he zeroing in on WingedLiberty......

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  8. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I would agree with the OP that there are quite a few AT coins on the "Post a Toned Coin" thread. This is a very devisive topic. I've seen huge arguments on other coin site message boards over it.

I'm no expert on what is NT, AT or MT. I'm trying to learn more about it, but it's a difficult subject to learn. I'm sure I've "liked" some AT coins on that thread, but isn't that my right? Even if I think it's an AT coin, can't I admire the AT artistry?

I own maybe a 1/2 dozen toned Morgans and a few other toned coins. They've all been graded by either NGC or PCGS. I believe them to be NT. That's not to say that some AT coins don't get holder because they are MT.

JDLawrence, I believe you were just trying to stimulate some conversation, but since toning is a controversial subject, as a new member to the boards, you could have used a little more tact in your OP.

BTW, welcome to the boards.

9. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Why pay a premium for toning that will occur naturally over time for free?

10. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I thought once a coin is slabbed the toning process will continue only veeerrrrrry slowly... and how do you know your coins will get a nice rainbow toning?

11. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Active Member

You are paying for convenience and surety, to have that toning right now. Simply because there is no guarantee that a non-toned coin you have will produce the colors and patterns you want, or will enjoy when all done, and after waiting that long. Buying an already toned coin that you find beautiful and desirable, while expensive, is the only way to ensure that.

It's just like anything else. There's no right or wrong if you choose either method, but you're not always guaranteed the return result you might be expecting or hoping for due to the large amounts of unknown variables that occur during the whole process.

Correct. A properly sealed slab should allow very little airflow, and the toning process will slow down so that you should see no perceptible changes during your lifetime.

12. throwbackid

throwbackid Well-Known Member

What about this Natural or Artificial? photo-92.JPG

13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I'm always mystified as to why so many people worry about how somebody else spends their money. Is it not their money to spend?

14. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I agree--the thread by the OP was an arrogant and antagonistic question in the first place. It wasn't contributing to the knowledge of coins--it was meant to get a rise out of people who do choose to collect toned coins. We all know the pitfalls of AT versus NT and market acceptability, so phrasing it as "How much do you spend on AT coins?" is not a positive, constructive topic in the first place.

By the way, on the odd chance that the OP is still reading this, my avatar coin was purchased for $144 at an absolute auction. It is a MS 64, and that is twice the normal value for that date in 64. Recently, I turned down two offers from collectors I know--one for $650, and one for $800. So, the toned coin market is definitely alive and well. Some folks might love that particular color combination--I do, but others might not see its merits. That is part of being a collector, and having different needs and desires for one's collection.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    Prime Mover and doug444 like this.
  15. John Anthony

Yes, and how is it different from asking, "How much do you spend on beer, or cigarettes, or video games?" - or any long list of recreations that someone else may not approve of. I would ask the question, "Why do you think it's any of your business?"

16. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Active Member

John / Morgandude, you've hit the nail on the head, and exactly what I've been thinking this time, and any time something like this pops up.

A question from the OP might be valid on something that is a price-comparable necessity. For example "why did you pay $110 for those shoes there, you can get them for $75 at this other store". That's a valid use of that question (arrogance and accusation tone aside) since in that market it's very cut and dry for need and pricing, and it needs to be done.

This is a hobby, led by emotion and preference and desire. While there are opinions a plenty, there is no "right or wrong". You buy what your emotions want you to buy, limited only by what the bottom line in your bank account says.

I like craft beer, my wife and neighbors like Coors Light. What do I care about their likes. In the end it just means there's more craft beer for me to drink! :D

Who cares what is spent, and on what. As long as it brings you, the only one that matters, enjoyment out of doing so.

17. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Edit

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  18. John Anthony

I think you meant to put that in another thread.

19. cpm9ball

What do you pay for SQ's that the Mint produces for pennies a pop?

Chris

20. cpm9ball

It's NT and it should grade MS65+.

Chris

21. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Darn phone. Thanks John

John Anthony likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted