How much do you spend on AT coins?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JDLawrence, Apr 18, 2014.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Man... I really thought this thread was really going to go somewhere... and I'd have to step in and moderate it... That was a pretty bad troll attempt tho.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JDLawrence

JDLawrence New Member

Well I guess I can't win this argument because there is nothing to back up my claims besides spot on numismatic identification. I can plainly see that many of these coins are AT, with a rare few being NT. I guess market acceptable is whatever illusions the general public are currently following. Not here to ruffle feathers, but I just question many of these so called toned coins.

4. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Ok.... well... lets see....

What do you think of these coins?

Keep in mind the other sides of these coins are not heavily toned.

IMG_9983.JPG

spirityoda likes this.
  5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Exactly. All the toners I have posted are in top-tier TPG slabs, but maybe I am an exception or the grading comp's got it all wrong...

Mainebill likes this.
  6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

You are dealing with quite a number of experienced collectors, many of whom have considerable expertise in toned coins, Mr. O.P. If you wish to "educate us," go for it, but I think that you have a rather tough audience awaiting. :)

7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Same here I post a lot of toners nearly all are in pcgs or NGC slabs. I will often pay huge premiums for otherwise nice clean coins with spectacular color. I don't care for blast white or dipped coins I like coins with surface quality be it gunmetal grey of early silver or rainbow colored end roll Morgans or beautiful edge toning from an album. Do you think these are at?? Pcgs disagrees !!

spirityoda and Morgandude11 like this.
  8. Mainebill

No **** another so called "instant expert" on coin toning!!

Morgandude11 likes this.
  9. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

How much do I spend? Not one red cent as I enjoy the blast white original issues, though I don't put down those who do love a little color in their collection.

petro89 likes this.
  10. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

He can "plainly see that many are AT with a few being NT?" I think there may be a future for him at NGC or PCGS, as they need folks who are that clairvoyant. :)

Mainebill likes this.
  11. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

Beautiful. I'll give you $7.10 (shipped) for each of them. ;)

(To the mods: Not a real offer of course.)

12. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

I've seen a few AT coins in that thread, but most of the coins - especially the high end ones - are natural. I'd like a link or two of the ones you think are AT.

Also, to clarify the thread, what do you consider AT?

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Since you've "spot on numismatic identification" on your side, the prize should be yours for the taking, sir; examples with clear explanations would be appreciated. If you wish to make such generalized statements, the least you can do is generously educate lowly and helpless "suckers".

There is nothing wrong with questioning something, but please understand there is a great difference between simple questioning and stating an opinion - and one you seem unwilling to back up - as absolute fact. If you're willing to share your views in a less confrontational manner and without needless conjecture, your time spent here will be much more enjoyable.

green18 likes this.
  14. Mainebill

Agreed I'm sure he's talking about some of mine and quite a few others tho. I will say I do have a pretty god idea on at and nt coins and every one of the "outrageous" toned coins I post are in a tpg slab!! And not qc either!! And most came from the major coin auctions or quality dealers! the toned. Morgan I posted today an ogh. I usually post pics of the slab too to show the grade. Several of my more recent NGC coins have the star designation many are cac approved. Granted I will sometimes pay too much based on toning but it's what I like especially on later 19th c coins and if I'm going to pay a big premium I want a tpg seal of approval especially if I'm buying sight unseen

15. petro89

petro89 Member

Yep. Different strokes for different folks. Me...I like my toners. :)

Mainebill likes this.
  16. JDLawrence

JDLawrence New Member

Then why won't any vest dealer buy a so called naturally toned coin at its premium market value? Oh they will sell them at 300 a pop, but they know better than to buy above greysheet. Don't you think they have to cover their tail because of the at issues?

17. Mainebill

You must be dealing with the wrong people then. I'd say put them in auction but get them slabbed first then there's no question or deal with someone that specislizes in toners

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Why do you think? How many dealers of any type will pay "premium market value" for any coin if the intent is resale?

Beyond this, please give an example of said coin; surely you know that not all toning is premium worthy regardless of if some will pay for it. As much as I hate to say it, with that last post it seems as if your problem lies more with an inability to sell at the premiums you desire than with the coins themselves.

19. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

First, this should not degenerate to an argument. It would be much more productive if we refer to what is about to take place as a healthy debate. Second, if you could reference which thread you are seeing these AT coins, some of us might actually agree with you. There is a long thread on this forum called Post a Toned Coin. Inside that thread, there are dozens of AT coins and most of them have likes given by other members. The majority of the AT coins are posted by the same member, but still, you are correct that there are AT coins being posted on this site with others liking the posts.

That said, the number of NT coins far outweighs the number of AT coins posted on the site in general. When I say NT, I refer to coins that are considered "market acceptable" and reside in TPG plastic.

If you want us to take your opinion seriously, you should start by telling us about your numismatic experience and then expand about your experience as it pertains to toning, specifically rainbow toning which is what drives numismatic premiums.

JPeace$ and Mainebill like this.
  20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

You guys are way too sensitive. If you are willing to "hang" someone, let them measure their own rope, find their own tree , and tie their own knot, and then give the eulogy after they have jumped from the ladder. Many people when they are banned on this or other forums who can't get their fill of argumentation, come back with a different ID. You won't get any answers on experience or ownership that can be verified.

21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Okay, please tell me which price guide provides market values for toners?

The fact is there are none, and neither dealers nor collectors can accurately predict what any toner will be worth or how much any buyer is willing to pay.

Chris

Morgandude11 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted