How many coins in your current collection.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Morgandude11, May 11, 2012.

?

How many coins in your collection?

Poll closed May 18, 2012.
  1. 0-10 coins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 11-130 coins

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. 31-50 coins

7 vote(s)
    10.8%
  4. 51-100 coins

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. 101-200 coins

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  6. 201-400 coins

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  7. 401-600 coins

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. 601-1000 coins

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. 1001-3000 coins

16 vote(s)
    24.6%
  10. Forget it, I am a hopeless broke addict

17 vote(s)
    26.2%
  1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Hey, just an informal survey of how many coins in your current collection. As I have said previously, after selling a huge one a year ago, and another big one 10 years ago, I have recently assembled a smaller collection (which has been growing by days this past month). Currently, it is around 40 coins. How big is your collection, and what is the average price paid per coin. My average is approximately $265 per coin. You don't have to post averages if you don't want to, but it makes for interesting information on which direction folks are going.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Boxeldercoin

Boxeldercoin New Member

Way to many!

Hi, I have way to many coins and I am still buying more. My wife and I collected coins for over 40 years without selling any. The last few years I started to sell some of my coins as I think the fun is in the hunt for new coins and currency. The only coins I do not sell are coins that are so rare that I could not replace them. I also do not sell any bust coins as my wife and I just love the design of the early bust coins. We have around 150 plus in PCGS or NGC slabs. Remember it is best to have 50 outstanding coins than 5000 poor coins. Jim

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I have voted. I assume that "Forget it, I am a hopeless broke addict" means 3,001 & up.

Ten double row boxes of 2x2s would be about 3,000 coins I think.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I'd say I have about 400 - 600 coins. Not alot. Used to have more as a kid due to endless wheatbacks but when I got back into collecting in 08 I purged ALOT of it to pay for new/better coins.

6. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I do have a lot. But this question is really general.
    If you had asked: "How many coins do you have in your collection that are worth more than double face value?
    My numbers would decrease dramatically lol.

7. LionelR

LionelR Supporter! Supporter

Those decades of Proof Sets really add up!

8. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I couldn't even hazard a guess. I have several boxes of 2x2's, bags of coins that I have to sort through (mainly foreign stuff), at least a dozen file boxes of sheets of 2x2's and then there are the rolls of solid date pre-1940 cents and nickels. I must be pushing 15,000 or more.

9. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

It would be hard to answer without breaking down subsets. All coins, (ignoring "bulk" world, wheats, etc), dang IDK. Ask me about early chinese, maybe 300 and average price of $15. Later chinese? 8000 and average of $1. Ancients? 2000 and maybe average of $20. US coins ignoring junk silver? 800 $50. better world coins? 2000 $10. Hard to average things like bust dollars with vnickels.

See, it either depends on what subset we are talking, or it simply means I have to many coins. Btw, you tell me I have too many coins I will punch you, so I suggest you say I need to answer per subset. :)

10. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Far more than 3000, I'm trying to pare it down....quality > quantity anyday IMO!

11. camlov2

camlov2 Member

I didn't count coins I am holding for silver melt value, only coins that I have sorted year/mintmark for my collection. If I added the silver coins it would be the 3000+

12. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

^This. I have a TON of coins in my collection, its just most of them aren't very valuable at all. I've got a few hundred valuable (a couple hundred of those silver), but the rest are just from me hoarding.

13. CoinTopia

CoinTopia New Member

Around 70, small fry compared to many on here.

14. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Yeah, but it doesn't matter. Some of my favorite days collecting was when I was a kid and had like 6 good coins. I pulled them out every day looking at them.

Education and enjoyment are what is important in this hobby. I have a lot since I have varied interests, have been doing it a long time, and am lucky I have never had to sell any.

15. ow9654

ow9654 Irish,British collector

To be honest 350 maybe, but another 1000 for selling and getting rid of, I would never count these as my collection they`re not one bit interesting and are worth about $0.01 to $0.50. I`m sure all collectors have these sort of things.

16. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I'm in the 31-50 coin range, as I'm only including coins in a US type collection that I am focusing on. So far I've averaged exactly $70.56 per coin (I keep close tabs on costs :smile). Of course, I will have to make some compromises on the high end stuff, but when possible I'm trying to get all of the coins in at least AU condition, and I'm getting the less expensive coins out of the way first. My intention is to try and keep the overall average in the $100-$150 per coin range. If I can do this, then in the end my complete type set will represent about $10-15K in total cost.

I have a lot of holes to fill, so if anyone has coins that meet these criteria then I may be interested! ;)

17. valente151

valente151 Mr. AU64, Jr.

38 slabs and about 30 gold, platinum and palladium bullion.

Much rather have a coin worth 400 than ten worth 40 each.

18. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I figured I'd let people break it down into categories themselves, as they felt like doing so. Some people have sub collections, and some people sell off collections, and start others. There are many varieties of collections, and just wanted to find out what people generally do.

19. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Like everyone else I have a lot of random stuff, but in terms of my main large cent collection I have around 200 coins. With the large cents I am really focused on quality/rarity over quanity.

20. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I think I have a few thousand coins. At one time I had many more, but I sold all my duplicates to make room for other coins I wanted. I also have a few hundred pieces of currency. As for average price, I rarely pay over $100 for anything.
    Guy

21. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

I concur my dear man!

Draft saved Draft deleted