HOF Unc v. Proof

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by statequarterguy, Apr 17, 2014.

?

Do you prefer the unc or proof HOF coins?

1. I prefer the unc.

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. I prefer the proof.

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  1. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Yeah, that silver dollar reverse looks closest to a real baseball.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldIRA

GoldIRA Active Member

Believe it or not I'm not going to grade any of the gold. I sold all of them already. They paid for my 100 silver Hall of Fame coins. Don't judge me. Ha ha

Ask me about holding real physical precious metals in an IRA or HSA plan.

4. statequarterguy

Nice flip!

5. GoldIRA

GoldIRA Active Member

Thank you sir

Ask me about holding real physical precious metals in an IRA or HSA plan.

6. Ric-G

Ric-G New Member

I remember seeing the 95-w ASE proof advertised for about $400-$500 back in 1997 or so. Could be off by a few years. I was only starting out and did not buy any nor could afford to.

7. Ric-G

Ric-G New Member

While I don't have much of a collection, I do have that '99 Washington $5 gold. I bought it simply because I really liked the design.

8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I am a big fan of the original Washington quarter and I was very disappointed when the new statehood quarter came back and they revamped with Washington image. It ruined the coin for me. I feel like the 1999 $5 gold design is a very elegant redesign...resembling both sides of the original quarter and I just love it.

9. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

There is soooooo much artificial frost on the Proof version of the Half Dollar, I think that telling difference between the two is difficult to say the least.

For example, I received two HOF Halfs in the mail yesterday, examined both then put one up for sale on eBay. It wasn't until I began the listing until I realized that I'd received two Proofs and not the UNC's I thought I'd gotten.

10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I usually like the proofs for their beauty , but buy the Uncs for the lower mintage's . Which when I think of it is pretty stupid as I never sell them .

11. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

You are suffering from a common issue...an internal struggle between what you like and what you think will be a better investment. All I can say is...good luck. ;)

TopcatCoin and rzage like this.
  12. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

You sure hit the nail right on the head .

CamaroDMD likes this.
  13. statequarterguy

That could be, but right after they were issued they were less. I coulda/shoulda put a roll away, just from what was on eBay raw. :banghead:

Ever see that commercial on the tube, I think for a car? The guy dumps his dumpy girlfriend and later see her, the super model, on the tube. Some coins are like that girlfriend.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    green18 likes this.
  14. I like the uncirculated gold and the proof silver. TC

15. statequarterguy

Hmm, currently neck n' neck, with 8 votes for each. We need a larger population of votes, come on all those who have viewed this thread, no need to chime in, just choose a button.

16. statequarterguy

The proofs are pulling ahead!

Draft saved Draft deleted