HOF Unc v. Proof

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by statequarterguy, Apr 17, 2014.

?

Do you prefer the unc or proof HOF coins?

1. I prefer the unc.

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. I prefer the proof.

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  1. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I typically order and like the unc/matte proof version of commems rather than the proof. With the unc, it’s simply easier to see the detail over the high contrast proof, and let’s face it, over the long term, the unc typically appreciates more than the proof.

However, for these HOF coins, I prefer the proof. Granted, the proofs will be higher mintage, so may not perform as well as the uncs, but the contrast is not overwhelming. I like the completely frosted reverse, with only the lettering mirrored.

Which version do you prefer?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Odieo331

Odieo331 Member

I always prefer the Proof versions, regardless of the value :)

4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

It depends sometimes I prefer the uncirculated and sometimes the proof but with these I like them all

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm pretty much in the same corner as you State guy. I usually go for the uncirc's but I do like the proofs on this issue. I feel the same way about the Civil Rights commem. The uncirc. is much nicer. Hey, how about the quality of the clads?! So far the mint has done an outstanding job with this product.

6. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

I always like the unc. for commems because I like how they look like a normal coin. I also think that modern frosting looks like digital noise, which to me is bad. Old school frosting looks great though

7. onecenter

onecenter Member

Until recently, I purchased the proof over the uncirculated version, unless the mintmarks were different. I now purchase both finishes in order to keep my modern commemorative silver and clad collection complete. I did break precedent with this issue and bought the two gold coins, one of each finish, for the first time since the 1989 Bicentennial of Congress set.

8. statequarterguy

Best I've seen on the unc halves in years. Wonder if they're mostly high grade or we got lucky?

9. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I typically am a UNC guy, but on this one I will have to wait until I have mine in hand to state my opinion but the pics of the proofs are looking good so far.

I did buy the proof of the star spangled banner comm. I thought it showed the detail better.

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

unc's are lower mintages, traditionally.

better opportunity for increase in value

11. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I prefer the proofs. I just think they look cool and to me, a commemorative coin in general is all about appearance...it doesn't matter to me if they look like a "real coin." So, I'd take the proof every time.

Plus, I don't buy coins from the mint for the value. It seems 95% of the time those coins don't hold the value they sold for after a year...I buy the coins I like and I enjoy them. I think trying to gamble and pick the coins likely to appreciate is usually unsuccessful.

Odieo331 likes this.
  12. statequarterguy

1989?, So you’ve been collecting the modern commems from the beginning? I started at the beginning in 1982. Had all of them including the gold, sold the gold in 2009, after the 2008 market crash, made a handsome profit that allowed me to stay retired, after my 401k was ravaged. So miss them now & then, but I’m happy being retired.

Still love and collect the dollars and halves, and would love the halves more if they were silver. Something about those dollars though - as was mention, the uncs look like real coins (silver dollars) and they are, the specs are the same as the Morgan/Peace dollars, as well as earlier issues. Yeah, a few of the designs suck, least favorite is the Madison Dollar, but overall many great designs.

This series has done well and should respond positively to even small increases in demand, due to many low mintages. Could you image if they were as popular as Morgan/Peace Dollars? I wouldn’t count that out, I know many that collect the commems, over Morgan/Peace Dollars, including myself. I like the variety many great designs offer, rather than the same coin over & over again.

Tater likes this.
  13. statequarterguy

Interesting, at this point, the uncs are winning 2 to 1 over the proofs, even though the proofs were ordered 2 to 1 over the uncs. We’ll see when more votes come in.

14. statequarterguy

Yeah, in the days of high mintages, the 70's & 80's that was true. Maybe I'm just lucky, but most everything I've bought from the mint in the last 20 years (low mintage years), has gone up, sometimes way up. Yet, my classic key dates have tanked 25%. As for the unc modern commems, you have some recent very low mintages that haven’t yet realized their potential, even though they have gone up

15. CamaroDMD

I don't know...it just seems like an awful lot of even the newer coins can be had on the secondary market pretty cheap. I remember when the 2009 Lincoln commemorative was the hot item. They were selling for big money...yet today they aren't worth much at all.

I do think the HOF coins will hold some value because of their unique design. If I was in it for the money, I would buy the UNC coins all day long because they do end up being rarer and are a safer risk based on what history shows.

16. statequarterguy

True, sometimes they follow a bell curve, they shoot up way passed their current market value, but all still sell for more than their issue price. Others have just gone up steadily. Others have gone to the moon. Now & then, if I want to kick myself for a missed opportunity, I’ll remind myself how I missed out on the deal of the century, the 1995-W ASE Proof. As you know, since it was only included in the 1995 gold proof set, it was pricey, so many did not order. When the sets were broken up, only the gold was valued by the gold collector who bought them and they offed the ASE's for practically nothing - ASE's were not as popular back then and silver was $4/oz. I believe they could be bought for $50 to $100 apiece. Needles to say, I had other priorities at the time and probably believed that price was too high, given the demand and price of silver, so bought none.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  17. CamaroDMD

It seems like all the special ASE sets have been a great buy. I was lucky enough to get one of the 25th anniversary sets.

One thing I like is that many of the older commemoratives (80s and 90s) are quite inexpensive. For some reason, the 1999 Washington $5 gold has always had a special place in my heart...and it's affordable. One of these days, I'm going to pick one up.

18. statequarterguy

Keep talking like that and I'm going to start agreeing with you. There are some good deals with moderns, contrary to what "old timer" dealers tell you. Yeah, given current demand, earlier modern commems are high mintage - if demand increases, those early unc mintages could start to look a lot lower - more like the HOF mintages with greater demand.

As for ASE's, what has potential equal to the 1995-W? Many modern mint products have similar or lower mintages and are desirable enough to potentially have a huge following. I particularly like unc modern commens and OMG, the P-Pucks, as well as some of the bullions. If ASE's remain popular, that 2011 set will continue to be a winner, as the sets still being flipped, settle into collections.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  19. GoldIRA

GoldIRA Active Member

I like the proofs more this time but I tend to side with the UNC like you statequarterguy. BTW, my 20 coins showed up today. woo!

Ask me about holding real physical precious metals in an IRA or HSA plan.

20. GoldIRA

GoldIRA Active Member

I'm not sure if anyone else has already mentioned this but I feel the silver version of these coins are going to ultimately offer the biggest payback. The gold coins are so small and it's hard to enjoy the detail of the coin due to its size. The silver is more affordable and just looks and feels neater due to its size and shape. My thoughts...

Ask me about holding real physical precious metals in an IRA or HSA plan.

21. statequarterguy

You'll have to let us know what the 69/70 ratio is.

Draft saved Draft deleted