Hobo Nickels

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BNB Analytics, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Harpuahound

Harpuahound New Member

Thanks Billzach, thats very kind words from the Hobo Wizard himself.

I dont collect, but I do have a timely carving. It is part of a family portrait collection. Otto "Opa" Von Schipp a.k.a. Bad Santa. Otto is getting into the Christmas "Spirits".[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

That looks like a nice original Hobo.

Fret, The first Hobo you show is a modern carving but the second one looks like a very nice original Hobo.

4. 1970 Silver Art

1970 Silver Art Silver Art Bar Collector

My most recent purchase...................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am making a wild guess here but this hobo nickel appears to be of a Chinese soldier. This hobo nickel was carved by Keith Pedersen (KP "signature" is on the reverse). I bought this last Saturday (Nov. 29) at a flea market and I paid $31 for it.

5. Texas John

Texas John Collector of oddments

Japanese soldier makes more sense.

6. rotobeast

rotobeast Old Newbie

I love your artistic style.
    Definately eye-catching.

7. 1970 Silver Art

I bought this hobo nickel on ebay last Sunday (Dec. 5) and it came in the mail today..................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "Distinguished Professor" hobo nickel. Created by the carver known only as "SG". I paid $14.68 for it on ebay.

8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah, I'm glad you think so as I think it could be an older one as well. I was on ebay checking out the inventory around 2 days ago and there was one going for $700.:eek: I think that was a Bill Zach!! Isn't that something? Some of these modern day carvers are finally getting the respect they deserve. :thumb:

9. Harpuahound

Harpuahound New Member

[​IMG]a recent carving of mine, the collector added spun a bit of a tale to give the charecter some life. And another recent carving. [​IMG]

10. rotobeast

rotobeast Old Newbie

Fantastic !
    Do you add ink for depth-effect ?

11. Harpuahound

Harpuahound New Member

Short answer yes.

Its a mixture of Gun Blue, permenant marker and transfer wax. This isnt uncommon to do in other styles of engraving. And its really not uncommon in hobo nickels I think, to rub dirt n debris into the crevices to make the raised areas more pronounced. It adds contrast to the design, with my style of carving it works well.

12. rotobeast

rotobeast Old Newbie

No doubt about it !
    It really adds depth to your, already great, eye and hair work.
    Am I correct in assuming that you were greatly influenced by Celtic and 70's Pop art ?

13. Harpuahound

Harpuahound New Member

I couldnt say I was influenced by any particular style. But many different artists. Mostly just learning from any piece that catches my eye.

14. Harpuahound

Harpuahound New Member

Not my work. Its amazing, Sorta fits HOBO NICKEL genre. The pair sold for $500[​IMG][​IMG]

15. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

Man, some cool stuff here. I love the Abe one!

16. Bluetip84

Bluetip84 Likes Toned Coins

I could quickly see myself getting into Hobo nickels. The artistry involved and in the originals the history is amazing.

17. 1970 Silver Art

My first hobo nickel purchase of 2011...........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought this today at a coin show and I paid $8.00 for it. The artist is unknown. On the front of nickel, the Indian Head "hat" says "Show Me The Money". The nickel was not in the greatest of shape when it was carved out. I did not find many hobo nickels at the coin show.

18. eatranman

eatranman Member

My first Hobo nickel

I just found this in Grandpa's nickels I am going through. The collection has not be touched since 1964. It was stored in a paper bag along with a 50 rolls of Jefferson and Buffalo nickel and 8 collecter books. I do not know if it was a modern or not. Hope someone can look at the attached pictures and tell one way or another.

Attached Files:

19. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Here's a few Hobo nickel images I came across lately. I think the last one was [possibly carved by a Minnesota Vikings fan.

Attached Files:

20. Harpuahound

Harpuahound New Member

That is surely a classic and could prove to be rather valuable.

Draft saved Draft deleted