Hobo Nickels

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BNB Analytics, Sep 13, 2009.

1. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Do we like them here?

I just started getting into them just for fun.. They can be very cool looking..

Post pics if any of you have some.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Here's mine I bought awhile back. Some of them are really super nice, Hobo has a really nice one. Maybe he will post a pic.

Attached Files:

4. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

5. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

My guess is they use an engraving device or a Dremel tool. Alot of the engravers are jewelers as well so it's right up their alley. Looks difficult for sure!!

http://www.hobonickels.org/

7. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

[​IMG]
    Wild Bill

[​IMG]
    The Law Man

8. pappy-o

pappy-o coinoisseur

Just when you think you've seen everything , now I'll be looking for one for my collection :bigeyes: , thats coooooool fretboard:smile

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I watched a guy doing this at show a while back.
    He was actually just moving the metal around using several hand tools.
    Really cool.

10. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Was taking some photos of some of my recent purchases this week and just had to share this one. I got this from the famous BNB himself who was set up as a dealer at the last Ontario, CA coin show. I think it's a pretty sweet design and even got the 2x2 autographed. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. snaz

snaz Registry fever

Did he carve it himself?! That's a sweet design!

12. 1970 Silver Art

1970 Silver Art Silver Art Bar Collector

Thanks for this thread on Hobo nickels. I found this thread (and another similar thread) while doing a search on hobo nickels. I love the artwork on a lot of these hobo nickels. Simply amazing. I do not have any yet but I plan to start a collecting a few of them, mainly the modern hobo nickels.

13. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

To see the best search for threads started by billzach. He has some amazing creations.

14. 1970 Silver Art

I did that and I found several of his threads. I have to agree with you that his artwork is amazing. I will definitely start to collect them. These are very interesting to me.

15. 1970 Silver Art

This is my first hobo nickel that I bought. I bought it today from a local coin dealer for $25.00. Here is what it looks like.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Damn I thought CT favorite poster, BTB was back ;)

Nice Hobo 1970, I would love to get one myself but its been on the bottom of my want list

17. 1970 Silver Art

I bought a hobo nickel on ebay last weekend and I just got it in the mail today. Here is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a J Press "Newspaper Hat Clown" hobo nickel that is a 1935 Buffalo nickel. I paid $18.50 for it on ebay.

18. 1970 Silver Art

A recent ebay purchase of a set of hobo nickels that I just got in the mail today...............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first one is a "Baseball Player" hobo nickel. It was carved out of a 1935 Buffalo nickel and it was signed by J Press.

The second one is a "Female Player" hobo nickel. It was carved out of a 1936 Buffalo nickel and it was signed on the reverse by J Allen.

I bought this late last week as a lot on ebay and I paid a total $33.00 for these two hobo nickels.

19. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

Hobo nickels are, in my opinion, way too expensive!!!

20. 1970 Silver Art

I bought this today at a coin show for $40.00.............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Dang is that Willie Nelson on there? I LIKE IT.. I ride a Harley and I Like Willy.. Good Pick!

Draft saved Draft deleted