Hoarding copper pennies

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by manic_mechanic, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Car10

Car10 Senior Member

How many of us has wished that our grandfather or great-grandfather had "hoarded" cents and it would now be your "chore" to search through them? How crazy would he have been?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

The only storage problem I can see is maybe the weight! Of course you could just run down to Lowe's and pick up one of those adjustable steel floor supports for under your closet.;)

4. grizz

grizz numismatist

.....yeah but what about all that FUN!!!

5. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

I see no difference between saving copper and saving silver...
    Copper is cheaper, so easier for the common joe to sock away. Nor does it carry a premium to purchase as silver does.
    I can definitely see how metals and coin dealers would not promote the activity as it cuts them out of the loop.
    IMO copper is an excellent metal to invest in,,, either in the supporting mining activity via securities/stocks, or in your basement via a few cents plucked out of circulation.... If any of our grandparents did that with mercury dimes, or quarters, etc... we would be very happy with thier decision... even if they had to put up with a few folks balking at thier decision..........
    I'll also say this, at some point in time, the banks will pull these out of circulation (for thier profit).....

6. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

Off the top of my head, if the coins were perfectly stacked, it would be 38 cubic feet (3' x 3' x 4 1/4' high). If just poured in a box, the box would have to be nearly 6' high.

7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Give me that amount in gold and i might think about it;;;LOL:eating:

8. Art

Art Numismatist?

Uhmm! Let's see. 7 feet long x 7 feet high x 1 foot deep and solid gold. I think I might hoard that too. Actually I'd rapidly convert it into other things like Indian Head Cents.

9. nss

nss Gold Plated Member

It's not a felony to melt copper. In fact, it is not a felony to melt copper coins, either.

:smile

10. schatzy

schatzy ~Roosie Fanatic~

11. davemac

davemac dave

12. sirfordster

sirfordster Member

I save all of the pre '82 cents in 1.75 liter jack daniels bottles. I have four of them filled now and another filled with post '35 wheats! It gives me a excuse for going and getting another bottle.:thumb:

13. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

Do you need help in emptying the Jack Daniel's bottle?:D

14. mlmummert

mlmummert Junior Member

Maybe he just buys them for the bottles and pours the JD down the kitchen drain...:bow:

15. sirfordster

sirfordster Member

Oh no we are NOT going to pour any of my good buddy jacks fine beverage down the drain!:headbang: Drink it and savor the flavor!:goofer::thumb: then rinse and fill with copper cents.:thumb:

16. nss

nss Gold Plated Member

17. mpcusa

Watch out big brother could be watching!!

18. Gipper1985

Gipper1985 Junior Member

Do you think that would work with Jim Beam bottles?

19. mpcusa

I think it would work best in a Absalute Vodka bottle, Ive got many empties
    I could let you have...LOL

20. chip

chip Novice collector

I use smuckers jam for the zincolns, and the Mr. Peanut jars for the copper

21. sirfordster

sirfordster Member

I can tell by the end of this game im gonna need a new bottle.:goofer:

Draft saved Draft deleted