Hi I think my late husband was one of those hoarders

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by fisherwomen3325, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fisherwomen3325

fisherwomen3325 New Member

Hi,
    After 7 years and floor dipping due to weigh I have undertaken the task of examining the thousands of coins that my husband and grandmother held. It may take me another 7 years to go through everything. He kept everything, foreign prewar, foreign post war, mercury, pennies nichols OMG what a chore. I will probably visit often for assistance.
    Thank you for this service.
    Sandy
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. USS656

USS656 Moderator Moderator

Welcome - That's what we are here for. Pictures help, regardless ~ ask away!
  4. chip

chip Novice collector

It is a big job, think of it like it is eating an elephant, you cannot swallow it all at once, it can be done, one bite at a time. If you want to take the short cut, you could have someone buy it all at once, but chances are you will not realize anywhere near the true worth, because they will have to take all the time to sort out the different denominations. Check out a redbook, from your library, and a copy of world coins, those two books will probably cover 99.9 percent of what you have as far as sorting out those things that might be very expensive.

Plus you can ask questions here and see what the group consensus might be.
  5. heyatrain

heyatrain New Member

Another good place to find good info would be the PCGS website. What are you look to do with all of the coins? I am looking to past mine down to my kids.
  6. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

sounds like not really high-end stuff since it is described as a hoard vs. a collection.

The first thing to do is seperate any silver coinage ( pre- 1965 dimes and up). Those are worth about 18X of face value, and they stick out like a sore thumb. Then you can choose wether or not to learn more about coins and look for rare dates.
  7. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Take your time. It can be overwhelming at first look but if you do it as the others have recommended, it could be a rewarding project.
  8. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

It's funny actually. So many collections wind up in the hands of family members who know very little , if anything about numismatics , or even if that the individual who initially assembled the collection, was a hobbyist .
  9. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

Described as a "hoard", not like a real collection.

Very limited info given. I of course could evaluate very quickly...as could most here.

Pick out the silver first ( it might be all Silver ?) It could be virtually anything...including trash coinage from the 80's...get a taste of what is there, then go forward, I'd guess there might be some silver in there, but it could just be the guy's change bucket from 1980 to date, and be nothing.

See if there is silver first, if not you have nothing.
  10. coinman0456

You seem to be doing quite a bit of speculating there Doug21. There is no way for anyone of us here to say what is or isn't valuable in this COLLECTION . It's apparent the heir is totally unfamiliar and ill prepared to even properly grade any coin in the collection . Your suggestion that she has nothing if there is no silver, is absurd and undermining at best. I know you know better than to do that.
  11. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

Not really !

We need to see this stuff in hand....It could be anything under the sun. Even if it's just silver and just Rosy dimes, Washy Q's, and Franky Halves, it's junk silver ( basically). A non-Numismatically inclined widow ain't gonna find Gold in there.

Now if it is all stuff from like before 1950, worth a look.

If there is little/ No silver , then just is 80's pocket change thrown in a can.

I evaluate stuff with the info I'm given.

I could tell in a minute.

My advice is sound....see how much of it is Silver first !
  12. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

I'll guess this man threw coins in a 5 gallon jug starting around 1980, and he died in 2010, I could be wrong !

If I'm right, the coins are worth face value basically.

That's why I say look for Silver first, then go from there.
  13. blsmothermon

blsmothermon New Member

Even just an old can of pennies could still have an '09-S VDB in it and be worth more than 10 pounds of silver. One excellent coin is better than a truckload of junk. You are oversimplifying it.

Edited: Did you not read the OP? Thousands of coins, husband and grandmother, Mercury Dimes, prewar and postwar. That there is silver is a given. What might not be silver and be worth REAL money would be the issue to me when you have someone who doesn't know coins (keys, semi-keys, etc).
  14. coinman0456

Please, if you can post a photo's of both the obverse and reverse of any coin you have questions about, will only assist us in providing you with our best appraisal for you. Had you husband kept any written records about his coins ? Surely there must be some reference for you . I would suggest that a collector who has a totaled collection as you suggest, surely kept some records , especially for pieces he knew had a good market value. How was the collection kept ? coffee cans, flips, 2X2 's ?
  15. heyatrain

heyatrain New Member

Photos would be good & fun for everyone! Have have enter a whole new world!! Get ready for a crash course education!
  16. swish513

swish513 edwardian penny collector

hey doug, be sure to give me all of your 1955 ddo lincolns, 1909-s vdb lincolns, and 1913-s type 2 buffalos. they aren't silver, so they must be nothing. :rollling:

to the op- good luck with this endeavor. i know it may seem like quite a bit, but follow the advice given here. take it slowly, get a red book, and post pics please. :D we would love to see some of this "hoard."
  17. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

an 09 svdb is very unlikely.

again , I say see how much silver is there, then look through that.

Spotting the silver is easy and the first thing to do.

I'm trying to help, but need some better info. The amount of silver is critical info. Even if it is rich in silver , it can be highly just junk silver.
  18. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

I'd have that hoard sorted in no time ! I can tell a wheatie from looking at the obverse sans seeing the date, silver is obvious. It's very easy to do.

I'd look closer at Merc dimes and Walking Liberty Halves.
  19. heyatrain

heyatrain New Member

Swish513 has a point. It would probibly best best to just start with sorting out all the different types as best you can. Pennys, dimes, nickels...etc\ You might want to get a neck brace, by the end of a session of sort it will be hurting.
  20. coinman0456

Hopefully, the OP has had almost a year of being a forum member here, and has established some contacts here that she trusts for opinions.
  21. coinup

coinup Junior Member

well good luck either way - it could be a tedious process, or enjoyable....but do what you think is right for you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.