Hey everyone, I'm Renato and this is my story

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Avenia, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Avenia

Avenia New Member

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } My Grandmother was an Anthropologist, during her travels she would collect coins and bills from all over the world, come home and stuff them all in a big box. A year before she passed she gave me the box, she said, sell it, dont keep it, sell it all, get some fun things with it. That was 20 years ago, it was my 22nd birthday. Now is the time for me to sell them, but, I search the internet looking for ways to price them, it seems that with all this information out there it is getting harder and harder to price anything. I needed a place to talk, chat with more informed coin enthusiast. I have a large box of bills and coins dating from 1780 to 1964, I am here for information, I would love to share any information I may have to help out with, who knows, I may get so into this that I may keep them another 20 years.

Avenia
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Welcome to Coin Talk! We'd love to see some pics of your collection. It sounds like your Grandmother had an interesting life. Glad to have you here!
  4. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Welcome Avenia, good to have you here. It looks like you have your work cut out for you, but you can have fun doing it. You also might find that somewhere along the way you become a collector...this stuff is very addicting. Looking forward to hearing more about your collection.

Bruce
  5. mpcusa

mpcusa Online Dealer of Mpc

Welcome to CT!!
  6. Avenia

Avenia New Member

I thank you for the warm welcome, I am in the process of taking photos of everything in block photos, the interest is building I must say, now I am thinking of buying a metal detector to continue building the collection. I'll start posting the photos as soon as I get them all loaded, there are like 30 bills and 1200 coins in my current collection, there are so many undisturbed areas in Montana that I can search for coins, I cant wait.
  7. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

Welcome to CoinTalk Avenia, can't wait to see the pics :D
  8. green18

green18 Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Welcome Avenia. Depending on what coins you have will determine which guides you can arm yourself with to determine price and/or rarity. Was Moms collection primarily foreign or domestic?
  9. Avenia

Avenia New Member

I'm absolutely sick right now, everyone, I'm sorry, I went home to gather up the collection and the lock was busted off, it was in the Brinks home security box, all the American collection in gone, all the silver dollars, Mercury Dimes, Buffalo Nickles, Bills, notes, Stamps, there all gone, there are only some Wheat penny's, a handful of 40's nickels, they left all the Foreign bills and coins, I do love the Foreign part of the collection, I find it all so interesting but the thought of some punk kid spending the American collection on party treats just makes me sick. I haven't been through these boxes in years, I was for a time sharing my place with 3 other College kids out in LA, I kinda know who did it but have no way of proving anything.
  10. Avenia

Avenia New Member

I am getting over it, just a bit, I am going to continue to photo the
    collection, I will still put them all on here, I am sad, but still
    very much interested in continuing the collecting, I have been on the
    internet all day today looking at metal detectors, soon I will have
    the photos posted for you all to see. The good news of all this is
    they left a 10 Yen that I found on Ebay going for 2000 bucks, its the
    same note yet it does not have the serial number on the bottom right
    like the bill on the net but it does have the red seal, maybe they
    left the better half of the collection after all, just maybe. . .
  11. Avenia

Avenia New Member

well, now its primarily foreign, the story is below on what I found out, I now have all the block photos of the collection and am getting ready to post them all, I am looking for a place to put the photos, reading instructions for this site.
  12. Avenia

Avenia New Member

img_0541.jpg There is a question I have about this coin, it seems to be set in the year 4294, knowing that it is not right, do they have a different date system ?

Update : I did some research on this coin after Pdljmpr sparked my interest on the matter, it is a REPUBLIC OF KOREA 50 HWAN 4294 (1959) nickel-brass, sells on ebay for about $2.50 for the shape it is in. Hey guys, this is getting to be more and more fun all the time.
  13. PdlJmpr

PdlJmpr Junior Member

'
    Stunned silence out here...
    How disappointing to have waited 20 years and just begun learning and appreciating your treasure! Some of us have had our own losses and some can only imagine. To be virtual witnesses to your tragedy is hard to fathom, but in many ways real and heart-felt.

A year or so ago I treated myself to a used 1996 Krause World Coin Catalog at auction. It took a while to learn how to use it, but has been worth it. It is fascinating that some other countries, Korea being one, have a different date systems and my world catalog explains and converts those date systems to BC-AD. I'd like to look this one up, but my catalog is at home. Maybe somebody has their reference close at hand.

We'd love to follow your journey of learning and we'll be happy to answer your questions and encourage you as you go along.
  14. logo10

logo10 New Member

15. Avenia

Avenia New Member

Well, I have an update to tell of, I just got all my collection up on this site, it is all in my profile, took a long time to get it all reduced down to size so it would all fit, I hope you all check them out, I do want to say that they are all used, I dont have anything new and shiny, also, I dont clean my coins, that much I do know about. Have fun ! Oh and any info is always appreciated.