Herodian Judean Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by mrbrklyn, Jun 24, 2012.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

[​IMG] [h=2]Judean Roman Herodian Coins[/h] [​IMG]
    Sun Jun 24 01:03:10 2012 [HR][/HR] After the successful Macabe revolt against the Seleucid Empire and the formation of an independent Jewish State, presures from the East and West continued to erode that indepences. In addition, significant infighting over theology and political control harmed the unity of the fledgling nation. While trying to find protection from the east and the west eventually Judea became a protectorate of the Roman Empire by exploiting the friction between the Hasmonean brothers, Aristobulus and Hyrcanus wrangled control fot eh Jewish state from the Hasmonean rulers, leading to the rule of the Herod family under roman basal state status. A number of coins where minted for these rulers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Herod Archelus obverse

[​IMG]
    Herod Archelus Reverse

[​IMG]
    Agrippa I Obverse

[​IMG]
    Agripp I Reverse
    [HR][/HR] Several mints from around the world make exciting coin designs in circulating alloys, silver and gold. Among my favorites are the Perth Mint in Austrailia which produces a variety of coins for nations mostly through out the Pacific Rim. The Neatherlands has also produced some interesting designs, and several private US based mints have produced foreign currency on contract, include the Franklin Mint which has produced many Israeli Coins. Our interest in foreign coins has been nominal but rapidly growing as it seems that US designs are so stuck in the mud. Also, foreign mints are creating bold new designs with color and bimetal designs that are both eye catching and fun.
    This is a short list of our current modern design:

[HR][/HR]
    Our modest collection generally contains the following coins types. Click to see these examples show below including photography: Large Cent Coppers Flying Eagle Cents Lincoln Cents and Wheat Backs Buffalo Nickels Jefferson Nickels Bust Half Dimes Mercury (Liberrty Head) Dimes Roosevelt Dime Barber Quarter Dollars Standing Libery Quarter Washington and Washington State Quarters Cap Bust Half Dollars Seated Half Dollars Barber Half Dollars Walking Liberty Half Dollars Franklin Half Dollars Kennedy Half Dollars Morgan Silver Dollars Peace Silver Dollars Eisenhower Clad and Silver Dollars Sacawagea Golden Dollars Modern Silver and Clad Proof Sets Modern American Silver Eagle uncirculated mint coins and proofs Modern Silver and Clad 2008 Commorative Bald Eagle Series Gold Coins - Not too many Modern Foreign Coins from Outside The United States Circulated US Silver Coins prior to 1964

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I saw a great coin on vcoins and before i finished thinking about it, it was gone!

Draft saved Draft deleted