Help w/ Ancient Islamic (?) coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by coin0709, Mar 22, 2014.

1. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Hi again,
    I'd really appreciate some direction with these 2 ancient/medieval Islamic (?) coins. They are approximately the diameter of a US nickel, but are quite thick. I do have Krause Guides for the 1600's-2000's, but think these might be earlier. Thanks in advance of any advice.
    Coin1 - pictures 1 and 2
    Coin2 - pictures 3 and 4

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

India. Should be in Krause.

4. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Thanks. Which century?

5. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

These look like early islamic Sultanate coins. At first glance don't think Delhi.
    For attribution size in mm and weight in grams would be very helpfull.
    Both left pics are upside down, makes them a bit difficult to read. Will download and flip them and see if i can find a G/G attribution for them.

6. THCoins

OK, for your second one i had a hunch, and it turned out correct.
    The coin sides should be oriented like this:
    Two.jpg

On the left side below the centre line you see 3 Arab numbers looking like a 9, a 3 on it's side and a V upside down. This is read as AH938 (1532 AD) This is a copper falus from the sultanate of Malwa. The most used classification for these sultanate coins is by Goron & Goenka. This likely is G/G type M206.
    To make it a bit complicated, it is in the name of Bahadur Shah, Sultan of Gujarat.
    This was a period of great turmoil. Shortly before the Gujarati had overtaken Malwa. A few years later they had to turn over this territory again, but now to Hamayun, the first Mughal emperor. (And a few years later they got it back again to finally lose it permanently to emperor Akbar)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  7. THCoins

Your first one should be oriented like this:
    One.jpg
    Now in the right picture, below the central horizontal line you see at the left edge a 9, with right of it an arab 2 and then a 4 so AH924. I first thought maybe Malwa again. But Malwa falusses in that time period are square. So Gujarat is a good second guess.
    AH924 brings us in the reign of Shams Al-Din Muzaffar II, sultan of Gujarat.
    Looking in the references confirms this and gives classification G/G G283, mintplace Mustafabad.

8. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Wow, thanks again THCoins. I really appreciate it. So are these coppers in the same value range as the other two? $5-$15ea? Cheers, RM

9. THCoins

A few years ago you would pay 2 dollars for them, but they are increasing in prize because of increasing interest (also in India) and because many have been melted for scrap value over the last century. So yes, in this condition the upper part of your range would be about right at the moment.

10. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Well, I apologize. Looks like it won't be in Krause.

I really need to get a copy of Goran & Gorenka.

11. Rekha

Rekha New Member

Please help me in identifying these ancient coin..

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted