Help me pick out my next coin from these 3 choices

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by treylxapi47, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I don't care for the 1858 quarter at all. It has been dipped and has secondary toning, has noticeable hairlines in the obverse fields, has a couple of nasty enough gashes going diagonally in the shield by LIBERTY and another between stars 12 and 13, and has that odd field disturbance by the last A in AMERICA.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

With you all the way Tom every time I look at that 1858 I find something else wrong with it. I missed the hairlines

4. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

I'd keep the money...or ebay bucks whatever.

Endeavor likes this.
  5. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I've often heard it said that AU-58's tend to be more appealing than coins in the lower uncirculated grades. The two Seated quarters are a prime example of that. I vote for the AU-58 hands down.

6. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

I like the morgan

7. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

I like the morgan

Endeavor likes this.
  8. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

People who can't afford uncirculated say that.

9. Mainebill

I totally agree I have a lot of coins in high au and I prefer them to low unc I very rarely buy a unc coin below ms -63 I'd rather have an au I don't like heavily marked or baggy coins. I especially prefer au grades in early gold as most were circulated and even low ms grades can be prohibitively expensive

10. Mainebill

Totally not true case in point me I have a lot of au coins and a lot of ms coins but very few low ms coins. I buy by eye appeal and I'd take a clean fielded au-58 over a beat up ms 61 any day regardless of price

11. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Exactly what I would do as well.

treylxapi47 and Mainebill like this.
  12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

This is an utterly, and not to mention pitifully ridiculous statement.

rzage and Mainebill like this.
  13. Mainebill

No kidding I just bought yet another au-58 seated coin with nice color a few minutes ago. Honestly I like most better than ms coins and as to affording uncirculated coins what I'm wanting to pick up is a couple pretty toned proof seated coins in the pf 64-66 range

treylxapi47 likes this.
  14. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Not true at all. I've seen some real 'woof, woofs' in '62/61 graded slabs and some real nice, pleasing to the eye, examples in AU-58. Given the choice I'd take the AU hands down........

rzage and Mainebill like this.
  16. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Well I purchased the 1854 AU-58 with Arrows Quarter. Can't wait to see it in hand, I'm thinking she's gonna look better in person. We shall see.

green18 likes this.
  17. Endeavor

I'm not talking about a beat up 61. If a 61 is more beat up than a 58, then one (or both) of the grades are inaccurate. I'm talking about a true 61 vs a true 58. You would be abnormal to pick the 58 if price were the same. Which leads me to my point that many people choose the AU over MS ultimately because of price. You could say I was wrong in saying AU buyers can't afford MS - perhaps they could "afford" it - but most take the AU over low MS because of the value (aka 'bang for the buck').

Now maybe you truly are one of the abnormal people (btw I don't mean abnormal in a negative way. Just as in different or not the norm) that appreciate more wear on a coin Bill, but I still have to wonder if you're just programmed that way after many years since price is always a factor in buying coins. Even the richest people on earth don't want to get ripped off.

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Yes, and so are we (or at least I am). You do understand, in its most basic form, what defines MS, right?

19. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I'm not ashamed at all to settle for a nice AU coin if the uncirculated version is out of my price range.

With that being said, if the two quarters in this thread were the same date, which one hypothetically would have a higher market value? Isn't it true that sometimes a nice AU58 will sell for more than a "beat up" 61?

20. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Aren't the majority MS61's graded that way because they have some kind of problem?

21. Endeavor

Well, I was sort of joking when I said "only folks that can't afford it say that", but I do think the money is what influences their decision. I don't think most people would rather have 58 coins over 60-63 if they were the same price. At least not as many people as say they do on here. I think they're just programmed to think in term of prices and value.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted