Help me pick out my next coin from these 3 choices

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by treylxapi47, Apr 4, 2014.

1. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

OK guys, I am wanting to spend my ebay bucks on a new coin (what else better to spend it on, right?) and I wanted input from the CoinTalk community on which I should purchase next.

All three of these choices are fine with me and I welcome them into my collection, I would buy all 3 right now if I had the funds. I am curious as to what the community here thinks is the best buy out of the three.

I have $123.xx to spend, so keep that in mind relative to the prices and what the coin is worth. Im looking for the biggest bang for my bucks (get it?), lol.

First off is a well toned 1896 Morgan dollar graded at MS-63. The color doesnt really show through these pictures well, but there is some lime green toning coming across her hairline and face.

96 O.JPG
    96R.JPG
    She comes in at about $85 shipped

Next up is an 1854 Arrows Seated Quarter in AU-58, asking price is $425

54 O.JPG
    54 R.JPG

The last option is another Seated Quarter. 1858 in MS-61 with a price tag right around $500

58 O.JPG
    58 R.JPG

What do you guys think? I like the idea of buying the Morgan and having some 'change' to put on another coin. However I also like the idea of getting that $500 quarter for a mere $375ish out of pocket.

Decsions, decisions.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I'd go for #3

AGStack and treylxapi47 like this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

That '58 seems wonderfully intriguing to me Trey. I'd go with that. Just a humble opine.........:)

treylxapi47 likes this.
  5. treylxapi47

Threw me off for a second there, I though you meant the 1854 as an Au-58, then I saw the ' in front of the 58.

Thats 2 for the 58 so far.

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

7. green18

Must be the date (as opposed to the coin). So many interesting events occured that year. Google it........:)

treylxapi47 likes this.
  8. treylxapi47

I found out that the 6-shooter was made that year and eventually turned into the Remington 1858

Minnesota became the 32nd state

59ers flooded the west

There was a telegraph exchange between Buchanan and Queen Victoria

The founding of Denver

Did I miss anything you were thinking of?

AGStack likes this.
  9. green18

Not to forget Lincoln mentioning a house divided.......

treylxapi47 likes this.
  10. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

11. treylxapi47

Oh yeah......forgot about that one :)

12. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The 54 or the Morgan.

13. treylxapi47

Why not the 1858 MD?

14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Me I'm voting for the 1854 arrows I like the color of it and its a nice coin and has no significant marks The 1858 has a nice reverse but the obverse detail looks weakly struck I had to look close it almost looked like a au-55 with the weak spots in her breast head and the eagles leg but it's in the strike I also don't like the big gouge on the shield personally I wouldn't buy it for $500 is not a good coin for the money in my opinion. the Morgan has nice color and is a fair price would be my second choice

Morgandude11 likes this.
  15. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I agree with Maine above--- I love the arrows and rays. All three are choice coins-- you cannot go wrong with any of them.

16. Mainebill

To me the 54 arrows is a ms-64 without the touch of wear and great color. The 1858 is an au-55 slider masquerading as a ms 61 still a decent coin but not for that money. The Morgan is a lot of pretty color for less than a tank of fuel for my truck. Me I'd spend $500 and buy both the Morgan and the 1854

17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Well, about the only thing I can add to this is that the Morgan seems a little ho-hum to me. It appears to have an early stage of what some people call "Ti-D-Bowl" toning. I have several of these that are iridescent blue around the entire perimeter with amber and green inside the blue. Sometimes you can find these with both sides toned alike, and other times only one side.

Chris

Mainebill likes this.
  18. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

# 3 but with that kind of $ I would get a DCAM 65 Kennedy....

19. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

20. treylxapi47

Wow, totally missed that gash across Liberty on the 58. That one hurts. I saw the mark on the reverse though.

What about that little dig under the last star on the right side field of the 54?

I think the color is gonna be good on both of them. I was leaning towards the '58 earlier. The 54 is making a good case now though

21. Mainebill

On the 54 is it a dig? It looked raised to me like a die break

Draft saved Draft deleted