Having problems with your Coin Talk account ? Read this !

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by GDJMSP, Mar 14, 2012.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

First of all guys, nobody knew this would happen. But it did, so apologies.

To address problematic issues with the email notification system Coin Talk just recently started using a new email system. The new system fixed the previous problems, but it had another effect as well. Let me explain.

Whenever anybody registers as a member of Coin Talk they have to provide a valid email address. But as time goes on, people often change their email addresses. But, they also often forget to update things like membership accounts at various web sites with their new email addresses.

Anyway, this new email system that Coin Talk is now using validates the listed email addresses for all members of Coin Talk. And if your listed email address that you provided on registration is dead and no longer functional, the the software blocks your account. Those with blocked accounts can still log-in, they just can't do much of anything else. But there is an easy fix.

So, if this has happened to you and you are having problems with your Coin Talk account, do the following.

1. log-in

2. click on Settings in the upper right hand corner of your screen

3. scroll down a bit until you see My Settings in the left hand column

4. click on Edit Email & Password

5. when that window opens, enter your password where it says - Enter your password to continue

6. then where it says Edit Email Address type in your current and valid email address, and enter it again in the confirm box

7. click on Save Changes

Now before you ask I don't know how long it will take for the changes to take effect, but THEY WILL take effect. It may be immediate, it may take a few minutes, it may take a few hours - I don't know. But it will fix the problem for you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Haven't received an instant notification on any subscribed threads in the last two days Doug. I'm off to try what you suggested....

4. GDJMSP

Green, the problem isn't that people are not receiving email notification on subscribed threads. if you are having problems with that, then post about it in the Support and Feedback section.

The problem that I am talking about is that the people affected cannot do anything except log-in ! They cannot post, they cannot send or access Private Messages. Their permissions and access privileges are turned off because they have a dead or invalid email address listed.

5. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Just to add, if anyone still can't get back in after following the instructions Doug has provided, you can always send me an email for help. My email address is my first name at CoinTalk.com :)

6. green18

Oh dear. Thought that maybe your suggestion might fix my problem. I'm headed over that way now.

7. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

I had this very same issue. Thankfully, I contacted a moderator through another website. Just as you said, Doug, I was able to log-in, but couldn't view members' profiles, send messages, or create/post in threads.

It all makes sense now, though. I'm glad y'all responded quick about it as well. :) Thanks!

-Brian

8. silvermonger

silvermonger Member

"The new system fixed the previous problems, but it had another effect as well."

Let no good deed go unpunished!

9. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

So, no mention of the fact that the new system sends emails containing links to a site other than CT, prompting some email clients to believe the email is a scam?

Or are we just conveniently ignoring that ridiculous oversight?

10. green18

Tell ya the truth? After having the email instant notifications shut down for awhile I'm getting used to the fact that my 'inbox' isn't as cluttered as it used to be. If I want to read the 'subscribed threads' I just hit the 'settings button' on this site.......

11. GDJMSP

It would be nice if the world was perfect - but it isn't.

But the situation does remind me of the favorite saying someone close to me used to have - " It's the best I can do with the tools I got "

Draft saved Draft deleted