Has there ever been a country that had silver content in their 1 and/or 2 cent coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Drago the Wolf, Jan 31, 2012.

1. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

edward i struck silver farthings. he was the first to do so. i believe, and could very well be wrong in this, that elizabeth i was the first to use copper.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

These silver "cents" probably get spent as such about as often as someone spends their hockey pucks as a quarter dollar. ;)

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I believe there was a complete 1868 set for sale at the FUN show about 4 years ago. It might have been the year when FUN was in Ft Lauderdale.

5. Petee

Petee New Member

This isn't a lie. That coin looks like it was made to commemorate the Salem witch trials.

6. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Didn't Mexico have a silver 1 centavo in the late nineteenth century? Or was it "German" silver?

There was also a US Feuchtwanger Cent (which was the precursor to the Flying Eagle penny), produced in several different alloys. I'm not an expert on hard times tokens - were any of them produced out of silver or billion?

7. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I think this is the one you're referring to:

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=422&lotNo=1353

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I've got one

I've got one that answers the OPs original question. Here is a silver US cent. It is dated 1964-D. It was struck on a 90% silver planchet in the mint's coining press. (The silver blank was intended to be struck as a dime but accidents happen). :D

This particular 1964-D coin is not mine.

Attached Files:

10. Owle

Owle Junior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny

The first ones were around 700 AD.

Etymology Old English versions of the word penny are penig, pening, penning and pending; the word appears in German as Pfennig, in Dutch and Swedish (often shortened to peng) as penning, and in West Frisian as peinje or penje. In Swedish, the word pengar is also the most common for money. These words are thought by some to have common roots with the English word "pawn", German Pfand, and Dutch pand, words which mean "a pledge or token".[SUP][1][/SUP]
    [h=2][edit] Origin and history of development[/h]The silver penny of medieval Europe was modeled on similar small silver coins from antiquity: the Greek drachma and Roman Denarius.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The British have been doing it for years. And a silver cent or nickel for the SF mint anniversary would require new legislation to create them, and legislation to get an exemption from the only two commemorative coin programs per year law. That is why we will probably get "special" ASE's, no new legislation required and the Mint can do it on their own authority.

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

More the denari than the drachm. The drachm was heavier and thicker. The penny was basically the German version of the denari, so much so that until decimalization the abbreviation for penny in the UK was d.

13. Saint Bunny

Saint Bunny New Member

it looks like a witch esp with the nose

14. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

Not to be the spelling police but in this case it makes a LARGE difference. The term for debased silver is billon, not billion...

Richard

15. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

The first Japanese 5 sen was 1.25g of .800 silver. In 1870 that was equivalent to a U.S. nickel. The rin (1/10 of a sen), 1/2 sen and 1 sen coins were copper, and the 2 sen was bronze.

Draft saved Draft deleted