Halves: Why do so many people call them 50 cent pieces or 50 cent coins instead of...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Drago the Wolf, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Coinut

Coinut Member

I second that. I have read too many threads where the OP is just ripped and have read where some have noticed this as a common occurrence. If you do not like what the OP has said and can't say anything nice or constructive I feel it would be better just to not say anything at all.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Good lord, I come back after two days and this thread is still continuing?

4. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

I don't see anyone ripping the OP. It's now turned into a discussion of all of the different terms used to describe coin denominations. Most of it has gotten pretty interesting IMO.

5. mackwork

It's like the battery commercial LOL! I'm often amazed at how long some of these threads go on, when you figured they'd die a quick death.

6. Coinut

Coinut Member

It happened at the beginning of the thread, I just now had the chance to leave a reply, and yes since then all is well but what happened at the beginning is still bothersome.

7. mackwork

I guess some just didn't appreciate a rant about something so trivial.

8. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

A Civil Correction!

Honestly, thank you for the correction, and I apologize on behalf of any who may have incorrectly offended your sensibilities.

The OP asked what was believed to be a question:
    "I just do not understand why so many people call halves "fifty-cent pieces" or fifty-cent coins" or even, "half-dollars" What followed in the initial post objectively seemed to read as a meaningless rant, eventually defined/supported by the OP as same. The OP appeared to want a personal choice name consensus for a coin, namely half or halves.

The OP personal choice for the coin name was unrealistic, as those names have a literal definition which aren't applicable without an object to the prepositional choice (e.g. HALF dollar).

Many, myself included, may have responded to the query with a direct "tongue in cheek" seemingly cynical earned response.
    I personally believed that the OP was asking a rhetorical question for which the answer was known. The post seemingly was intended to evoke direct stimulated response. The intent may have been achieved.

Any Offense To Others Is Unintended!!
    :bow:

9. Johnvan

Johnvan Member

Dunno, all I know is it is half past four, almost four thirty and I am getting hungry!---John

10. britcoin

britcoin New Member

My first girlfriend was a 50 cent piece. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted