Halves: Why do so many people call them 50 cent pieces or 50 cent coins instead of...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Drago the Wolf, Mar 29, 2012.

1. omahaorange

omahaorange Active Member

Kind of a silly discussion, but why not? I don't think there is a definitive answer to the question. It's probably more due to the terminology one is used to. Me, a fifty cent piece will always be a half. Same with the quarter. Dunno why, just habit.

Let me throw out a couple more:

How about a sawbuck, double sawbuck, and half a sawbuck?

And why do we call the coins in our pocket "change"? Though I think there is an obvious answer.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

For the same reason we drive on "parkways" and park on "driveways".

4. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

It may have something to do with the fact that when you want to "talk about something", it generally starts off as an illogical, uninformed rant or another diatribe about how you want to get the half dollar/$2 bill back into circulation.
    I used to find you annoying but now I find you ironically amusing. :D

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You're both reading something that simply isn't there. I was merely asking an honest question.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Maybe not, but sure do hear them call them quarters. People are also lazy, so they dropped the dollar part and just call them quarters. Much like did with the half dollar, when they just call them a half or halves.

Nope they don't. And you can chalk that up to people being different, lacking in consistency. And language is constantly changing over time due to what is known as "common usage". It has happened throughout history and will continue to happen throughout future history. Some terms stick and some don't. That's just people for you.

7. TheCoinGeezer

When I go to the bank to get rolls of coins, I specifically ask for the following:
    1¢ - A roll of pennies
    5¢ - A roll of nickels
    10¢ - A roll of dimes
    25¢ - A roll of quarters
    50¢ - A roll of half dollars

8. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

To add a bit more "confusion" on the term "nickels", the Red & Blue book refers to them as "Nickel five-cent pieces".

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm sure some of the older folks here remember a time "not too long ago" when you asked an elderly shopkeeper "How much?" for an apple or a candy bar or some small item, and he would reply, "Two bits!"

Chris

10. britcoin

britcoin New Member

Makes no cents to me.. I think I will try that though.. I am going to go to the grocery store and if my total is 23.50 I will ask the teller if i can give her 47 50 cent pieces

11. cpm9ball

You're liable to be told to bag your own groceries, that is, if she doesn't smack you first. Registers, today, aren't designed to hold that many half dollars.

Chris

12. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

How do you figure with the seated liberty saying "Quar. Dol."

[​IMG]

13. britcoin

britcoin New Member

true.. maybe i should give her a few 100 cent coins

14. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Far too complex for some!

I know this whole coin collecting thing maybe awfully confusing for some who would like their own definitions for items.

When the government struck these monetary items for which collectors have "coined" various names, they generally denominated the monetary unit with a "title" which is normally embossed on same.

I know that these "titles" are over-whelming for some, but the coin that I believe your referring to is generally denominated as a HALF DOLLAR. It has an official denomination, please learn to accept and deal with it.

In my real world, if I asked an associate whether they had a half, or halves, I'd more than likely receive a "Deer in the headlight" stare, and probably a query "what are you talking about?". Where if I asked whether they had ONE DOLLAR, HALF DOLLAR, QUARTER DOLLAR, ONE DIME, FIVE CENTS, ONE CENT, I would expect a lucid response.

Please just learn to accept the "titles" assigned to monetary units, and I suspect you'll receive better communications.

JMHO
    :thumb:

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Probably because there is probably no one alive who has ever used a quarter dollar that said 25 C on them.

16. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I have just become even dumber after reading this thread. Or maybe from posting on this thread.

17. TheCoinGeezer

I'm in my 60s and still use that phrase, having heard it frequently in my youth - when "two bits" would buy you 5 candy bars or 2 1/2 comic books!

18. Fall Guy

Fall Guy Active Member

And did you walk 20 miles to school uphill, in the snow, both ways? :p

19. cpm9ball

Yeah, but her mother kept chasing me out of the house.

Chris

20. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

Hah - same here. And I did walk a couple miles to school, but not 20 LOL! I think my dad used the term "2 bits" more than i ever did, but never "50 cent piece". :)

21. TheCoinGeezer

During a blizzard too. We had really tough winters 50 odd years ago! ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted