Guess the Grade, results Sunday night

Discussion in 'Contests' started by doug444, Apr 5, 2014.

1. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

thanks for the lesson you learn something all the time..... or least I do.... blind note: what are you going to do with that mutton now...lol

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

I am sorry but I am not trying to justify my guess and never accused anyone.
    It's not important to me if I got it wrong or not, like I said I just took a guess I never claimed to be an expert. It's not like I had something to win or lose.
    Also I don't think cleaning a coin with a toothbrush is a good idea, it's not what it took off but what if left behind.
    Sorry again if I said anything that you considered an offense, I don't think that's the case. I respect your opinion like I am sure you respect others'.

slackaction1 likes this.
  4. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

OK, no problem, wcoins. This whole exercise was to BENEFIT CT-er's, and to help solve the problem (widely stated by many already) of losing money buying and selling coins. Now some folks begin to see the less-obvious reason why. In fact, I'd like to see some member do the same with a piece of currency, with Before and After images. I didn't think of making a "Before" image until it was too late.:eek:

Any good old boy at the flea market, or CraigsList, or a public auction, could juice up a few coins doing exactly what I did, and I am more than willing to "sacrifice" a cheesy Peace Dollar to help my fellow members. Plus it was FUN.

wcoins likes this.
  5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You take away the wear they're seeing, Doug, she's a gem. Right? ;)

6. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Absolutely. I think Peace Dollars are one of the hardest coins to grade.

7. cremebrule

cremebrule Active Member

I think much of the confusion came from the pictures, which was an overexposed scan. Even with your glare compensation, it's impossible to gauge the coin's "true" luster under "normal" lighting conditions -- IMHO it's a complete pot shot -- so I wouldn't be too quick to harshly criticize those who graded this coin MS60+ (especially if they aren't familiar with scan photographs).

Granted, in hand I'm sure it's very obvious that the coin has been harshly cleaned -- even in scans, there should be some form of luster on the main portrait/devices, which the coin clearly lacks (muted gray).

Great post, and thanks for sharing!

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Applause, please!

[takes modest bow.]

9. austyn

austyn Member

Draft saved Draft deleted