Guess the Grade, results Sunday night

Discussion in 'Contests' started by doug444, Apr 5, 2014.

1. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

I haven't tried a grading contest before, but it looks like fun. I acquired this Peace Dollar today, you grade it.

I managed to remove most of the glare from the scanner, this is 600dpi, image area 2 x 2 inches. The line from Liberty's ear down toward the 2 in the date is not on the coin, it's on the underside of the glass; same for a few white dots, unable to remove.

CT 1925 Peace obv.jpg CT 1925 Peace rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What do we get if we win? :)

'64......

4. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Seems is not in a TPG holder...so what results on Sunday?

medjoy likes this.
  5. doug444

For green18, no prize, you just get the satisfaction of being right. For wcoins, true, it's a raw coin; the results will be a summary of everyone's guesses, and I will discuss the results.

6. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

Don't GTG coins have to be in TPG holders? I think it would be the only way to have a "right" answer.

7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Not a peace expert but going ms -63

8. doug444

Thanks. Maybe this will make it more realistic. You're at a flea market. You have a detailed price guide in your pocket. You see this raw Peace Dollar in somebody's case. So before you talk price, YOU have to grade the coin in your own mind.

Thanks, Mainebill.

9. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

10. doug444

Thank you. Hope to see 30 or 40 posts before we're done.

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

13. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Dipped bit too much. Average strike. Some bad scratches on leg.

14. doug444

Keep going, CT-er's!!! I want at least a dozen more opinions, NO, TWO DOZEN!!!:D

You will never forget the "results" AND "the rest of the story"!!!

15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I don't know that I'd buy it off those scans, but I'll grade it. It looks every bit a gem. Numerically, I'd have to see it.

16. doug444

OK, interesting. Thanks!

17. doug444

OK, here's the results, AND the rest of the story. We had AU-58 (Treashunt), MS-62, MS-63, MS-64, MS-64, MS-65, and Gem. Hope I didn't miss anybody.

Treashunt is spot on -- a decent AU-58 now thoroughly goosed.

Saturday morning I bought a roll of silver dollars for bullion, 12 Morgans + 8 Peace. I paid $400 plus a 2014 ASE, so the total cost was in the $21 range. I selected this Peace Dollar to illustrate a point I made in another thread, as it was well-struck with relatively few marks in the fields.

OK, "for bullion," remember? In another post, I said you make (or LOSE) money when you buy the coin, not when you sell it. That statement provoked some mild arguments. So I decided to send Ms. Liberty to the spa and the Beauty Shop, to see who among you would LOSE money the instant you bought it.

First, I scrubbed the coin 3 minutes with a toothbrush and baking soda, including the reeding. Then I made several applications of Wright's Silver Creme (my thumb is still a little bit black). Then I boiled the coin 5 minutes in ammonia. It's starting to look pretty good. Then I removed all possible residues with acetone on a chamois cloth. Finally, for good measure, I gave the coin a good going-over with the shirt-tail of my Made-in-Vietnam T-shirt.o_O

If you had seen the coin in its original state, a somewhat grimy surface and a stain above the eagle, you would have agreed it was an AU-58 at best.

Now, according to you-all, I've added about 5 step-up grades in 20 minutes. THIS is why you're losing money on coins. Hello?

ANYONE who guessed MS-anything is immediately under water, and will lose money down the line. And now this dollar ("mutton dressed as lamb" as they say in Australia) is going back into the original tube of twenty, probably never to see the light of day again.

Thanks for participating. Collectively, I saved you-all a lot of money in your upcoming purchases, I hope, plus a little understanding why some of you lose money buying and selling coins.

jay4202472000 and medjoy like this.
  18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You devil. I hope your thumb falls off........ devil.gif

19. doug444

LOL. Gotta see the eye-doc tomorrow, too much glare from this BBBBBBBBBBBBBU dollar.

20. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Grimy surface and a stain above the eagle don't degrade a coin that much. That coin even with the problems you mentioned would still be at least a MS60 coin. It's wear that makes it AU. Does it have wear or not, that's how you prove your point. A question I can't really answer since these coins are not my thing, I just took a guess.

Well after your coin cleaning - coin soup experiment now it might have wear that didn't have initially. I wouldn't be surprised if you took a mint state coin and damaged it just to prove your point.

21. doug444

Wcoins trying desperately to justify his MS-62 guesstimate...

Sixty years of collecting, first time I've ever been accused of damaging a coin to "prove my point." If you're ever in Columbus, stop by and I'll pull it out of the bullion stash for your inspection. It was a $21 coin before I started, it's a $21 coin now, and it will ALWAYS be a bullion coin. And yeah, that toothbrush really took a lot of metal off the reeding, LOL LOL LMAO, get serious.

Draft saved Draft deleted