GTG 1818 Capped Bust Half Toner

Discussion in 'Contests' started by theSharpGun, Apr 9, 2014.

?

Guess the Grade!

Poll closed Apr 13, 2014.
  1. AU-53

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. AU-55

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. AU-58

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  4. MS-60

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. MS-61

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. MS-62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. MS-63

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. MS-64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. MS-65

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  10. MS-66

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

This one is M65
    16374981_1295672_2200.jpg

theSharpGun and Mainebill like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

wcoins likes this.
  4. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

5. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

6. Mainebill

No kidding I had to doublecheck the color on the 2 just to make sure even tho the first had more wear

7. Mainebill

8. Mainebill

image.jpg image.jpg My prettiest bust half raw now I need to send it in I should do a gtg before I do :)

theSharpGun likes this.
  9. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Amazingly similar. The circular die crack on the reverse helped me to know it was different.

10. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

Wow...too similar...I couldn't tell the difference for a second either.
    Twin coins, now that's cool.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's completely variable. It's not a question of the color as much as it is time, any color can mute luster to variable degrees. The most common toning there is, grey, is well known for making luster just go poof. Dark brown can do the same thing on some coins, but look at copper. Dark chocolate brown is the norm and yet the luster still shines through. And with black, there is none.

But the bottom line is that when toning becomes so thick that light cannot pass through it and be reflected back, then there is no luster visible. I say visible because in many cases the luster is still there, under the toning, you just can't see it anymore. But dip the coin, remove the toning, and lo and behold the luster is there staring you in the face.

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

OK...that makes sense. I was thinking no luster visible, so I was sort of on the right track.

13. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

So the poll closed a little while ago and it looks like the (significantly large) majority has it! The coin was graded AU-58 by PCGS.
    If you look at the very high point of the reverse eagle you can see some flatness in the luster of the eagle's wings. You can also slightly see this in the obverse hair. Honestly though, I'd prefer this coin to some of the MS62's and MS63's I've seen. Just a brilliant coin! If it didn't have that wear I have no doubt it would be an MS65.
    Congrats to those who got it!
    I'll be putting up more coins like this in the near future.

jay4202472000 likes this.
  14. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I love old type coins. Although I don't have anything to brag about, my guess is MS64.

Draft saved Draft deleted