Grading MS Kennedy Halves

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CamaroDMD, Apr 28, 2006.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

OK, as I said before I am going to put together a BU Kennedy Half set as my new project. I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a web site or something that would help me grade MS Kennedy halves. I have never really collected this coin all that much so I would like to learn the basics of grading this specific coin-I know the "general rules" (for lack of a better term) of grading. Nothing too detailed, perhaps just some of the finer points of this specific coin-if any. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The reverse shield is like a magnet for picking up marks, especially the top of the shield which is flat. This area is a high point and marks stand out on it. Some dates are nearly impossible with a clean shield. If you finally do find a contender then tip it back and forth in the light since many dates will have very wide, very shallow scratches which can be seen only at some angles.

The periphery lettering is usually the first place that strike weakness shows up. Letters should be fully formed and have rounded tops. Flat tops are caused by incomplete die fill.

Perfect mint state kennedys are not available but if you look you can find most of them with clean shields and nice strikes. You'll also find some PL examples. Look in the mint sets as much as possible. You won't find the variieties and not even all of the regular issues appear in sets but many of the finest MS coins are in the mint sets.

4. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Hey Clad...since we are on Kennedy Halves could you tell me how hard it is to find a NICE 1997-D Half Dollar?...are they pretty easy to find?
    I had a roll and opened them and found a few GEMS with almost no marks and none that are on high points or such....I'm thinking about getting them graded sometime but haven't decided.

Speedy

5. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

They're about middle of the pack for '90 to date date "D" mints. The "D's tend to be easier than the "P's. If they are nice strikes then the very high grades are quite possible.

6. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Thanks Cladking....The strike is pretty sharp so I might send them in sometime for grading....I have some others that need to go off also.
    Sorry Richie for changing the topic ;)

Speedy

7. CamaroDMD

Well, I think this is where I'm going to start then. I'm going to keep my eyes open for decent prices on mint sets and buy them to break up (I have always felt a little guilty about breaking up mint sets but I'm sure I'll get over it). I also figure I'm just place the other mint sets coins in 2x2s as I plan to assemble other sets down the road. This way, I'll get a jump start on them as well.

Then, I'll probably buy the proof Kennedy's seperatly.

Does this sound like a good way to approach this?

8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Yes. Except be sure you're aware of the costs or the set premiums can eat you up. Most of the '65 to '96 mint sets are worth more busted up than they are as a set but there are some exceptions. The '95 set for instance has a huge premium which will evaporate when you cut it. This may be acceptable if the set has a spectacular gem or some coin you need for a collection but it will be costly if you're just trying to make money on a set or recover your money.

Also it's probably not worth the costs to keep any poor quality coins. Large percentages of some dates are of very poor quality and might never be of much interest to collectors. Coins like '76 type I Ikes tend to be unattractive nearly half the time. 95% of 1968 cents are ugly and tarnished. All of them have carbon spots but a few still look nice.

It might be a good idea to do the same thing with the proofs though these tend to have a little higher set premium and there is little variation in quality for most dates. The depth of supply in proof sets is far greater as well. Mintage were much higher and attrition has been lower. You can buy proof rolls for very reasonable prices and these tend to actually be higher quality than proof sets. The highest grade coins will have been removed but even more culls and problem coins will be absent.

9. CamaroDMD

Well, I don't plan on breaking up any mint sets that are valuable. I figure I'll pick up the ones that are worth more (or the same) broken up and break them up. With the more valuable sets, 1995 especially, I'll probably just buy/find a nice looking 1995-P & D lose. Plus, my understanding is there is no mint sets from 1982-1984 so I'll have to find those lose as well. So, I'll pick up the cheaper mint sets and worry about the rest of the set elsewhere.

10. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

There are some privately packaged '82 and '83 sets. At least about nine companies put these out with the best '82's being the Numismatic News sets and the best '83's probably being the Paul and Judys sets (blue red and white envelope). Both the Denver and Philly mints made sets of these years that were called "souvenir sets". At least a few of these were available by mail but in most years they could only be purchased in their respective mint's gift shop which sometimes was only accessable after taking the tour. Mintages of these have been reported at 20,000 for both denvers, 10,000 for the '82-P, and 15,000 for the '83-P. These are all five piece sets begun in '71 or '72 and ending in '98. Quality is very hit and miss and will not equal the standard mint sets. The '82-P set has horrid quarters and the half is little better. The '83-P can be found gem in these sets but only rarely. Average quality of the '83 sets tend pretty good. There is a regular '84 mint set in a very slippery package and quality is good though gems are very tough. There are a few privately packaged '84 and '85 sets as well but these get very scarce after '85.

11. penniman

penniman New Member

"OK, as I said before I am going to put together a BU Kennedy Half set as my new project. I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a web site or something that would help me grade MS Kennedy halves. I have never really collected this coin all that much so I would like to learn the basics of grading this specific coin-I know the "general rules" (for lack of a better term) of grading. Nothing too detailed, perhaps just some of the finer points of this specific coin-if any. Thanks!"

edited

Draft saved Draft deleted