Grading coins - what does PL mean

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Belix, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Belix

Belix Junior Member

Hi Folks
    went to a munismatics faire sunday - apart from finding out how little I know, I saw a couple of what looked like NGC slabbed coins with a PL 61 grade. Now I'm familiar with the 1-70 grade and why proof coins have a PR rating, but a PL rating is new to me.

Also, is PR rating only between 60-70? Would you get a PR51 coin, or does it just fall into the AU XF etc grade? I hope that makes some kind of sense...:eek:
    Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

PL = proof like
    Proof like means a shinny surface, but not manufactured as a proof-- that is the dies are polished but the coin is a regular circulation strike.

"PR51 coin, or does it just fall into the AU XF" A circulated proof coin could be graded as PR-50 or PR-55 or whatever the grade.

4. Belix

Belix Junior Member

Ah thanks. So we have PL = Proof Like (only dies polished), Cameo (polished dies and ... polished blank? Struck many times?). And Ultra Cameo? Just struck even more times for a 'deeper' impression?

Does that mean PL would be in place of MS for 'normal' business strikes?

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

belix:
    Pl means proof like, that is the dies are polished by the mint prior to striking, possibly because of a die clash, or whatever.
    Cameo, one of the first strike from a polished die.
    Ultra Cameo (NGC's term) then there is Ultra Deep Cameo, and PCGS uses slightly different terms, just means the degree of cameo-- that is contrast between the fields and the devices (eg liberty's head on a Morgan dollar).

"Does that mean PL would be in place of MS for 'normal' business strikes?"

No-- it would be: (for example) MS-65 PL or MS-63 Cameo PL

6. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

pl means it is a really really really shiny mint state coin.

7. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

as opposed to DMPL for - deep mirror proof like - seen on Morgan Dollar slabs

8. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

An I always thought it was PR for Priced Right and PL for Priced Low. :smile

Draft saved Draft deleted