Grade opinions/guess the grade on this 1836 bust half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by zaneman, Jan 18, 2008.

1. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

In hand the coin has super reflective fields, similar to a pl or dmpl morgan. You can read lettering on a business card from several inches away.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Looks cleaned to me.
    But if it's in an NGC holder, then it shouldn't be.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If the coin has Proof like fields that would explain the cleaned look. Hairlines can often be found on coins with Proof like fields due to several things - improper handling over the years, storage in a coin cabinet and sometimes just from being in a bag with other coins.

Basically any contact the coin has with fabric or cloth could cause those hairlines and make the coin appear to have been cleaned when it was not. I would definitely say the coin was dipped though.

5. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Well - like I said it was a nice coin! I do wish PCGS did that - my father has AU58 morgan that is PL, that is also a great looking coin. Nice coin.

6. ace92

ace92 New Member

7. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Of course it has been cleaned, Almost all 180 years old coins that are white are. The coin took a little bath to get the dust off :) The TPG's regularly grade cleaned coins, they do however body bag the harshly cleaned ones. As far as the hairlines though, I am thinking they are on the holder.

Zaneman can you fill us in on the hairlines, Are they on the holder? If not, does the photo make them look way worse than they really are?

Anyway, I am liking the coin :)

Mike

8. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

im in love..

9. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

This thread is 4 years old!

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

So ? Still kinda great that we can learn something isn't it ?

11. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

AU 55. I am guessing they gave it a pass on the cleaning, even though its too harsh for my taste.

Nice strike though. :)

Edit: Lol, sorry didn't see it was an old thread, or the grade given it. I disagree with it personally, but it was just my guess they would pass on the cleaning.

12. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Don't see how it got a star with all those hairlines , probably can only see them at a certain angle and NGC missed them . Certainly looks harshly cleaned to me . Put it in a manilla envelope on a window sill for a couple of years , it should look a lot nicer as there is hardly any wear .

13. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

lol, you must not know Zane. If he says the eye appeal in hand is good I trust that it is good. I think this is a case where an image is making the coin look much less nice than it actually is.

FYI before he went into business for himself Zane was a grader at Heritage and before that he was a grader at PCGS.

14. VNeal

VNeal Member

15. rzage

Still I can only go by the photos given , and that's what it looked like to me . Guess that's the dangers of grading by pictures .

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Another prooflike coin fooled me!

Those coins are tough to photograph, and tough to grade from photos too!

17. frostyluster

frostyluster Member

harshly cleaned au-50 details, net ef-40

18. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

You do realize this thread is 4 years old and it was graded AU-55 PL- it is revealed somewhere in the middle of this thread.

19. rzage

Good , then I'll be right for once . I'll say it graded AU-55-PL . :)

20. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Rusty, this is a 5-year-old thread.

21. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Yeah, and I just noticed the OP Zane never got a like, so now he has "1" :)

Draft saved Draft deleted