Good price for a slabbed MS 65 ICG 1960 penny?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bugo, Apr 12, 2014.

1. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I picked up one on ebay for $5 shipped. I figured it would be worth that for the holder alone. Did I get a fair deal? If not, what's it worth?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

IMO yes, because if you slabbed it yourself, it would cost a lot more than you paid...
    but lets see what the others say bout' this.

4. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I neglected to mention that it is a large date.

5. coingeek12

yep, most likely the others will be saying the same thing.
    bet lets wait and see, just wait and see.

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

It depends if it's a 65 R . ICG is not a tpg I would use but I do have some coins I bought in ICG holders . The problem is they've gotten too liberal in their grading and if it's a 63 yo spent $5 for a $.50 coin . Hope you got a true 65 .

bugo likes this.
  7. coingeek12

show us a pic!

8. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

The ebay listing said the coin is red.

The pictures on the listing aren't that great, but I'll take pics when it comes in the mail.

9. rzage

Still when I think of it $5 isn't bad at all .

bugo likes this.
  10. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

It was only $5, so I figured to take a chance on it. 1960 is my cutoff date for pennies, and I've been saving them all my life, and even have a few small dates that I've found in circulation over the decades. So at the very worst I can have a nice 1960 penny and a plastic case.

rzage likes this.
  11. rzage

I've took several similar gambles , a lot of people do when we buy off of ebay with not the best pics . Plus it now has great protection .

bugo likes this.
  12. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I got the coin in the mail tonight, and it is lovely. I'll try to get some good pics sometime Sunday evening. I don't know if it was a good deal or just average, but I'm happy with it.

rzage likes this.
  13. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

The case says "ICG - MS65 RD" and the date and denomination of the coin along with "LARGE DATE" which is pretty obvious. Pics coming soon.

rzage likes this.
  14. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Here is the penny. It sure is pretty. My question is why would somebody send such an ordinary coin to be graded? Don't get me wrong, I love 1960 pennies (my cutoff date for pennies is 1960) and the small/large dates make them interesting, but this isn't the most valuable coin on the planet. If it were a small date I would understand it, but not for a large date. The pictures aren't the best, but do you mostly agree with the MS 65 rating? Do you think I got a good deal? I think $5 is a steal for any slabbed coin with an MS rating.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Edward Sulak

Edward Sulak MuyGrande

People who send in bulk to get graded will let's say "piggyback" this coin in there, pretty much get it graded free so to say. Another situation could be that the person sent in multiples of the same exact date, mint, and condition hoping one or two come back in 67 or higher and which ever coins don't come back as the expected grade are sold off to make back the money it cost to have all the coins graded in the first place. Hope this makes sense haha.

bugo likes this.
  16. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Yes, they throw several coins at the proverbial wall hoping one will stick. Makes perfect sense.

17. Edward Sulak

Edward Sulak MuyGrande

But it makes for a good deal for someone else, I collect a lot of ms-66 and 65's because they're on the cheaper end, not every coin has to be special. But, I do have my "special" one's in the mix. :happy:

bugo likes this.
  18. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Personally, if I absolutely HAD to have a 1960 Lincoln Cent in UNC condition, I'd shop for one at a coin shop. It might cost me a buck but I'd get my pick and I wouldn't have to worry about getting rid of it. This comment is no reflection on ICG as I feel that their grading is correct and my comment regards ALL TPG's including PCGS and NGC with reference to an MS65 1960 Large Date Lincoln.

IMO, $5.00 is a great deal, For the Seller as the buyer now has a coin in a slab which $5.00 is invested in. Hopefully, when the owner of the coin tires of it or comes across a PCGS MS66 for just a smidge more money, a buyer will wander along with $5.00 to spare.

bugo likes this.
  19. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I bought it not so much for the penny (I've found BU 1960s pennies in rolls) but for the holder.

I'll never sell it. I don't sell my coins.

20. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

They were probably hoping for a 67 grade. Also consider some people like to experiment as part of the learning process. I've seen many coins worth <1$ in slabs that made less sense than your coin, i.e. they were F-VF common coins.

21. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Is it just me...or is there a fingerprint on the obverse of the coin? To the right of Lincoln, right above the date.

Draft saved Draft deleted