Getting a coin graded

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ace71499, Sep 3, 2013.

1. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

So i have some coins that i would like to get graded and put into that airtight plastic rectangle case. Could someone give me some details on how to do it

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

What coin is it? Where do you want to send it to? PCGS? NGC? ANACS? What is the purpose of you wanting to slab it? Preservation? (In which case there are other cheaper, better options than slabbing.) Resale? (You need to think if the cost of slabbing would be worth it.)
    We need a little more info than "I have a coin and I want it slabbed".

4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

first you have to pay a yearly fee, silver 50 dollars, gold 100 dollars, but comes with 3 free coins, and last platinum, I think thats 150 dollars, but that come with 7 free coins, free coins can be worth up to 3, 000.00 dollars a piece ! this is what pcgs will charge to join, as far as what it cost to grade, thats up to you starts at 14 dollars, and up :)

5. non_cents

Right, but you also have NGC which can do submissions through the ANA if you have a membership, and ANACS, which does not require a membership to submit.

6. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

1. Join PCGS or NGC (annual dues).
    2. Fill in online submission form and print it out.
    3. Follow instructions on packing and shipping your coins.
    4. Wait.

7. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

If you are an ANA member, you can direct submit to NGC without paying the yearly NGC membership. That's what I do, although I have not sent coins in for about 1 year. If you do this, when you login to NGC you will see "Account Type: ANA Submitter Account".

When I last sent in coins, including insurance, shipping, and grading fees, it averaged $23 per coin.

8. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I only put what pcgs does, the best in the coin world for grading coins :)

sodude likes this.
  9. non_cents

Well, to each their own. For instance, if I wanted to send in a non-cherrypicker's variety to get slabbed, I wouldn't go for PCGS as they don't attribute them. But ANACS does, so I would probably say ANACS is the best TPG for sending in die varieties.
    NGC is also a very good TPG, I consider them and PCGS to be pretty equal.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I assume that you wear sunglasses when it is pitch black outside.

Chris

non_cents likes this.
  11. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

5. Continue to wait.
    6. Wait some more.
    7. *Weekend*
    8. Hmm... maybe today? Psych! Wait again.
    9. *Holiday Weekend*
    10. Tuesday after holiday weekend = no grading done. (Hangovers in Newport Beach?)

:) By the way, Simon... still no word on our coins...

12. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

so far i've only used ANACS, no membership required, can download submission form online, $10 per coin is their lowest plus $7 for varieties, 15 day turnaround plus 15 for varieties, so i can expect my coins in 15 to 30 days. as for reasoning, i collect for personal enjoyment and when i find or maybe buy a coin i like, i feel that its much more appealing looking at my coin in a nice slabbed holder with nice graphics than in a cardboard flip with my sloppy writing on it. even if the coin is only worth $5-$10, spending $10-$17 on it to increase the eye appeal is worth it to me, plus i can also go online and search my coin at ANACS and see it listed their too, and one day (hopefully not too soon) my son or maybe one day a grandson can also search these very same coins when they are handed down to them.........

jello_g and Rick Stachowski like this.
  13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Please let us know more about the coins you want slabbed & post some photos of the coins so we can discuss your options.

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No coin slab is airtight - none.

You can buy yourself those rectangular plastic cases for less than $2 each. And they are just as good at protecting coins as any TPG slab.

15. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

don't you need a machine to seal them?

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

But not the best for grading world coins. :)

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No, you don't. But that's because the slabs the TPGs use are not sealed either. Yeah the two pieces of the TPG slab are melted together by the sonic waves the machine uses. But they are by no means sealed. All it does it keep the 2 pieces of the slab from falling apart. They are not airtight, they are not watertight, they are not sealed.

The snap-lock slabs do the exact same thing but with a different method, they snap-lock.

18. ace71499

these are some of the coins I was considering getting graded. I chose morgans because they are worth at least 37 dollars in G-4 condition (according to redbook 2014) Gold plated 67 half because I love the brilliant shine to it. Walking liberty because... well I needed a 5th option and that was one of the rarer coins I have. The franklin because I would says its at least MS 65. Tell me what you think I should get slabbed

Attached Files:

19. ace71499

Wow those pictures don't give those coins justice... they are all in better condition than it seems in the picture

20. non_cents

If you are thinking about sending the coins pictured to a TPG, don't bother.
    The 1967 half dollar was plated outside the mint. I doubt it would slab.
    The morgans are not in a high enough grade that would make it worth it.
    Same with the 1917 half dollar.
    IMO, the coins pictured are not worth the money of sending to a third party grader just to get them in a "plastic rectangle".

If I were you, I would buy some 2x2s or airtites and stick your favorite coins in there. Much cheaper and it will protect your coins.

Also as a note, the redbook tends to give a much higher value for your coins than you would get if you were selling them. Just something to keep in mind.

21. ace71499

I was thinking about that... save the really high graded, valuable coins to get slabbed. Thanks though... got more coins coming from my uncle soon... so keep an eye out.. see what I get!

non_cents likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted