Full Step????? 5FS vs 6FS vs FS

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MKent, Mar 22, 2014.

1. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

I am just now trying to learn the Jefferson Nickel Series. I have some very good mentoring from a fellow CT member, but I don't want to wear him out with every question. I have been looking at graded coins from the top four TPG's and using them to help further my grading skills. I am getting confused when it comes to the designation FS or Full Steps. This seems to very subjective among collectors and dealers, but also among the TPG's. I'm not even sure how they count the steps. Is it top down, bottom up, which ones are counted? I understand 5 is more than 6, but I can't always see the difference, and how is FS different to either 5FS or 6FS? Does that mean some of the steps are full and others aren't? This is a terminology difference depending on TPG either, because I have seen all three used by all four company's. I would appreciate any comments on the matter. Thanks

-Kent

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

heres what pcgs calls full steps: Full Steps (FS) - Jefferson Nickels. MS60 or better, at least five complete steps must appear on Monticello. Any steps that join or fuse together, whether created that way or subsequently damaged, cannot be considered for the Full Steps designation.

MKent likes this.
  4. flintcreek6412

flintcreek6412 Active Member

jello likes this.
  5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

There was a thread on Jefferson Nickels like 1- 2 weeks ago... incl. the above link which I posted :)

6. dannic113

dannic113 Member

One thing to add to this that the article and no one else mentioned is that 5FS are perfectly acceptable prior to 1989 as a full step nickel with 6 FS being even better. Just like a coins prior to the 70's a high grade proof is nice, a cameo designation is better yet and a ultra/deep cameo is the best. Anything after (yea PCGS still does the 5/6 thing) 1989 to be a true full step must be a complete 6 steps (not too hard to do mind you in fact since 1996 many many nicks are 5-6 FS just like most proofs are Ultra Cameo) otherwise most 5FS after 89 should sell maybe, maybe if lucky a dollar more than a similar grade coin without any steps or damaged steps.

Draft saved Draft deleted