France.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Siberian Man, Jul 31, 2011.

1. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Here's a 5 Franc piece from Charles X (the man who commented he "would rather hew wood" than be a constitutional monarch) and ran up enormous bills during his short tenure as king. 5FrancsChasX1828WRv.JPG 5FrancsChasX1828WOb.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Here's a 1920 Marianne, which is neither very old nor very rare, but I think one of the prettiest coins ever struck. Marianne20Rv.JPG Marianne20Ob.JPG

spirityoda likes this.
  4. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

1933 5 Francs, still 3d. republic 5FRF1933Rv.jpg 5FRF1933Ob.jpg

5. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

and finally some Vichy money, which is worth very little but I find historically interesting. Easily distinguished by the legend ETAT FRANCAIS (instead of Republique), and TRAVAIL, FAMILLE, PATRIE (work, family, fatherland) instead of LIBERTÉ EGALITÉ FRATERNITÉ (for which Petain apparently had little sympathy). To begin with, a 50 centimes piece. 50FRCent1942Ob.jpg 50FRCent1942Rv.jpg

6. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

... and here are 10- and 20-centimes. I found it interesting that the Vichy govt was apparently running out of aluminum to make coins with by 1943 (forget gold or silver).
    20FRCent1941Rv.jpg 20FRCent1941Ob.jpg 10FRCent4143Rv.jpg 10FRCent4143Ob.jpg

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Very nice coin although it does not really work as an inflation or price index. (See this chart for the past 100 years.) The latest version of the Hercules group design - see attachment - is on a €100 coin: Ag900, weight 50 g, Ø 47 mm ...

Christian

Attached Files:

8. jimmy-bones

jimmy-bones Senior Member

Agreed! The Marianne's are one my favorite issues as well.
    Below is a link of my gold 20 franc collection with a brief history of the gold 20 Franc issues through the various types minted.
    I've been putting this type set together over the years, but since gold's spike in price, I've slowed down quite a bit. enjoy!

http://www.coinsgbforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1155

9. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

sc0038d08a.jpg sc0038df93.jpg

Here's a strange French medal. I don't know much about it, but it's French!

10. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

Here are two of my more modern French coins:

From the reign of King Louis XV

1748 W Louis d’or

Conservatively graded by NGC as MS64

Design: OBVERSE: Bust of King Louis XV; Legend: “LUD• XV•D•G•FR• ET•NAV •REX •” [Louis XV, By the Grace of God, King of France and Navarre] ~ REVERSE: A crown over two oval shields (France and Navarre) and below a “W” denoting the mint. Legend: “CHRS•REGN•VINC•IMPER♦1748” [Christ Reigns, Overcomes and Commands]
    Mint: Lille (W)
    Mintage: 209,850
    References: KM #513.22 / Fr. 467
    Specifications: Diameter – 24.0mm Weight – 8.1580 g. @ 0.9170 Gold = .2405 oz AGW
    Notes:
    ➢ King Louis XV was also known as the “Well Beloved”. During the reign of Louis XV (1715-1774), France was in an era of prosperity and economic development; at the same time experiencing an extreme enlightenment of arts, literature and science.
    ➢ This coin is also known as an “Louis d’or au bandeau"
    ➢ Mint Director’s Privy Mark – “Heron” = Jean Dupeyron de LaCoste
    ➢ Notice this coin has no hay marks or weight adjustment scrapes …. Nice!!

** A special note about this coin .... It has a Doug Prather (GDJMSP) pedigree :)

[​IMG][​IMG]

From the reign of Napoleon III

1864 50 Franc

Graded NGC MS-62

Design: OBVERSE: Bust of Napoleon III w/ laurel wreath on head and a ribbon going down his shoulder, inscription “NAPOLEON III EMPEREUR”, below bust is the name of the mint director “BARRE” Albert Desire. ~ REVERSE: Imperial Arms, centered with an eagle standing on a thunderbolt surrounded by the Collar of the Legion of Honor stitched on two scepters (Hand of Justice and scepter of Charlemagne) posed in saltire, resting on a hanging decorated with mouchetures with ermine inside and bees outside and summoned of an imperial crown from which two ribbons flow. Flanking the base of the Arms is the valve “50 FR”. The mint letter “A” (Paris), date and privy mark of the engraver general (Anchor = Engraver General = Albert-Desire Barre) are below the arms between the ends of the scepters. The Legend reads “EMPIRE FRANCAIS”.
    Mint: Paris
    Mintage: 28,862
    References: KM #804.1 / Fr.582
    Specifications: Diameter – 27.97mm Weight – 16.1290 g. @ 0.9000 Gold = .4667 oz AGW
    Notes:
    ➢ Minted during the Second Empire of France, which started in 1852 when Napoleon III (Charles Louis Napoleon Bonaparte, nephew of Napoleon I, and son of Louis Bonaparte who was King of Holland (1806-1810) was elected President of France and soon after a coup d’état dissolved the Republican Assembly and Louis was proclaimed Emperor of France. This period ended in 1870 when France was defeated in the Franco-Prussian War. A new Modern Republic began. He was exiled in Kent where he died in 1821.
    ➢ This coin also has raised stars and a motto on engraved in its edge, DIEU PROTEGE LA FRANCE [God Protect France]

[​IMG][​IMG]

KurtS, ffrickey and spirityoda like this.
  11. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Wow, spectacular! Especially the Louis d'Or. I know the face from the Ecu, but have never seen this Louis before.

12. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Thank you all for sharing. Really enjoyed viewing your coins. France is my favorite for modern coins.

13. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

14. phdunay

phdunay Member

1938 France 1 Frank.jpg

Think its a good pic of a French coin I happened to photograph yesterday

15. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

That's quite an impressive collection! Congratulations! I've only got the 1 Napoleon, but if I win the lottery someday, maybe I'll get some more gold coins (mind you, every one I already bought has already proven to be a fine investment).

16. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

So, if a sou was 12 deniers (=pennies), then a sou = a shilling! And here I always thought a sou was a coin of little worth. And of course, 1 livre = 1 pound. All according to Charlemagne.

17. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

French colonial coins

Here I can offer some French colonial issues. Francs from Algeria, and from "Territoire des Afars et Issas" (today called Djibouti). DZ2050100Francs1949-52.jpg DJ50-100Francs1970.JPG

Siberian Man likes this.
  18. ARguy

ARguy Junior Member

Here are a few from my collection...all with some arguable level of American colonial relevance, cause that's my thing...

Attached Files:

19. Siberian Man

Got it the day before yesterday.
    5 centimes 1881, bronze.

Attached Files:

• 117.jpg
      117.jpg
      File size:
      73.2 KB
      Views:
    • 118.jpg
      118.jpg
      File size:
      71.2 KB
      Views:
  20. Siberian Man

I got it a few days ago.
    It's a 5-centimes coin of Napoleon III. Very high condition (XF-Unc) for a coins of that type. I have searched such a high grade during a several years.

Attached Files:

• 119.jpg
      119.jpg
      File size:
      72.6 KB
      Views:
    • 120.jpg
      120.jpg
      File size:
      68 KB
      Views:
    KurtS likes this.
  21. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Louis XIV aka The Sun King, struck the first year he ruled without a regent at the age of 14.

PB055861.jpg PB055862.jpg

spirityoda likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted