First 2014 5 oz silver ATB will be released by end of March

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by TopcatCoin, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I got mine on Tuesday but didn't see it until today since I was spending quality time with the wife at Niagara Falls. Got my first look at the mighty smokey today. I also got notice from the mint that Shenandoah is just 4-weeks away. With the subscription program, I think that all of these will sell out at $140/each with just 25k minted. The pucks are a thing of beauty!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

+1

If the Smokys sell out quickly, should be a no brainer for the mint to raise the mintage next time, maybe to 35k, where they've been before.

4. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I only remember the collector pucks at a maximum of 27k in 2010.

5. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

I got my 5 Smokies today. 10% off price with the Mint Subscription!

100_5117.jpg 100_5120.jpg

Gimme_More_Coins and onecenter like this.
  6. statequarterguy

Some were at 35k or 45k, I think the 2011's, after the 2010's at 27k mostly sold out so fast. Of course, they didn't sell those limits and were reduced the following years.

With the 10% discount, these low mintage rarities are so close to melt, I may have to up my subscription.

7. C Jay

C Jay Member

I think these have hit a price point that have grabbed the attention of a lot of collectors. I don't think any of the previous issues have sold this quickly, could be wrong but it does point to an expanding collector base as long as the price of silver remains at or near it's present level.

8. statequarterguy

And as long as the mint offers the 10% discount for subscriptions, bring the price closer to melt.

9. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

With the price at $140/each, it will bring more collectors to the pucks. Eventually, some of the new collectors will want to finish their sets. It will push the price higher on the earlier pucks, especially the lower mintage ones. Considering the current market values, I'm guessing that Vicksburg, Chickasaw, and Chaco Culture may be undervalued. Chaco Culture has risen in value over the past few months.

10. I am not convinced yet that these are new collectors versus people looking to obtain at the new lower offering price with subscription to flip once a sell out occurs. I hope it is new collectors but only time will tell. TC

11. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

My guess is a little of both. I'll be watching the prices of the other pucks when the smokey mountain sells out a little later this month.

12. Smart driver

Smart driver Member

Hi everyone, I'm kicking myself for not getting these in 2012 when I found out about the program. The reason why I was hesitant, like so many others, is probably because price factor, these were about $205 when I looked into ATB 5 oz.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  13. statequarterguy

Sales through 4/20 are 22,841.

14. drathbun

drathbun Well-Known Member

Mine came in a few days ago. They're the first purchase in the series for me. And yes, I might be one of the ones tempted to go back and buy the earlier ones. But for now, I think I'm going to be satisfied with starting with the first issue of the year and going forward.

15. GSM 5 ounce ATB silver bullion version now at 23,000. This is very close to the 22,841 for the GSM 5 ounce silver collector version. This may be the first ATB bullion version with a lower mintage than the collector version. Stay tuned. TC

16. Just received my GSM 5 ounce P collector version puck. I bought it on the secondary market. It is absolutely flawless. I cannot find any imperfections even with a microscope and am happy with it. TC

definer likes this.
  17. statequarterguy

Thought you're on the subscription plan?

18. I am now. I procrastinated and when I tried to get the subscription a few days before the GSM release it was too late for that issue. I was fortunate to be able to get the sub rate on the secondary market though.

19. statequarterguy

Coin World just reported that the mint will produce the bullion version to demand up to 40,000 coins. The mint announced that they are currently producing more of the bullion version after selling out the 23,000 on hand.

20. BullionBill

BullionBill Member

Looks like the Smokey's might sell out before Shenandoah is released. This series looks like it's picking up some steam.

Anyone remember paying $275+ when Yellowstone and Grand Canyon first came out.

Now only $139 and change, it's like stealing it's so cheap.

21. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I remember buying the whole first year for $279.95 plus $4.95 shipping. Of course, silver was over $30/ounze in 2011. They do seem cheap at $139.45.

Draft saved Draft deleted