Finding coins that came off the same die.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by collectingkid, Oct 24, 2011.

1. collectingkid

collectingkid Copper Collector

Hello,

I was just wondering, is it possible to find a coin with the same error lets say like the same die break?

Thanks

Dan

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Absolutely, this is how people who have published works on die varieties and pairings do it... by looking at minute details and their progression or "die state".

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

You can also find coins struck from the same dies or die pairs that do not have errors. Things like placement and orientation of mintmarks, location of numerals in the date, clash marks, etc. all are used to identify which die was used to strike a coin.

5. thatmatt

thatmatt New Member

6. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

You will have better luck finding coins struck by the same die pair if you search rolls or bags of uncirculated coins. Once the coins reach circulation it becomes MUCH more difficult to find two coins struck by the same die pair.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Unless you are dealing with older coins that came from many fewer die pairs.

8. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

True.

9. Porsche2007

Porsche2007 Senior Member

It can never be the same, primarily because a coin's composition isn't impeccably pure.

10. zach67005

zach67005 Active Member

Huh?

11. thatmatt

thatmatt New Member

I don't think he means microscopically 100% the same.

I think he is talking if I die is cracked like a thunderbolt will more than 1 coin show the same crack from the same die. Or for example a VAM 162 with the same N & M issue.

I could be wrong, I'm new :)

12. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

"Every" BU roll will have several coins struck by the same die pair. Coins are fed into bags or rolls from a relatively few presses. Most rolls will have no more than about 15 die pairings represented in it. Typical will be ten or twelve depending on the era and denomination.

13. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

I bought this first coin about 2 years ago with a really cool die crack that runs up Liberty's neck and T's off through her hair and up to the top edge.(sorry old pics aren't the best)
    [​IMG]
    Then earlier this year I bought a group of coins and one had what appeared to be the same die crack only it wasn't quite as long and didn't have the split.Possibly earlier die state
    [​IMG]
    It was more obvious in hand, but I am almost certain both were struck from the same dies.

14. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

15. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

For example, these two 1900-O Morgans came from the same roll

Attached Files:

16. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Cool coins Bigjpst. I had a friend who collected "shattered" coins. These are the coins from likely the very last strike of a shattered die. He never cared what coin, what era, just that the die had to be shattered. He collected these for years, but don't think he ever got more than a dozen. They sure were dramatic though.

Chris

17. bigjpst

Thanks.
    I considered putting together a collection of die crack progression. A coin like the 1921 Morgan dollar which is cheap enough and plagued with large die cracks. It would be interesting to see the crack from beginning to near terminal. Just another set on my want to do list.:smile

18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Morgans weren't put into rolls by the Mint. It wasn't until the bags were released that collectors and/or banks put them into rolls.

Chris

19. cpm9ball

I have an interesting die crack progression of 1999-P Georgia SQ's. I found them in a $250 Mint bag. I was able to put together the progression from the die cracks and a marker that every one of the coins has, a kidney-shaped die chip on Washington's neck. There are 8 different cracks (not all began on the first coin) in various places on the obverse and reverse, and you can actually see some of them get longer from coin to coin.

Chris

20. bigjpst

That would be cool to see

21. cpm9ball

After I get myself moved to a new residence, maybe I'll try to dig them out and take photos.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted