Finally found my 1st silver in my drawer.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I have finally found silver at work. A 1943 nickel. Silver nickels are rare anymore, I have not found any in the past 3 $100 boxes I have searched.

I also got "psyched" the other day. I thought there was a silver dime in a roll, but it was one from Canada.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cool find. Does your boss allow you to swap out coins? I often wondered about that. TC

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

That's what you've been wondering about? Not the meaning of life? Or what those things are called at the ends of shoelaces? Or why there are interstate highways in Hawaii? :confused:

TopcatCoin likes this.
  5. lol. Already figured out the meaning of life, so thought I would simplify things a bit.

6. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

the thing at the end of a shoelace is an aglet. One less thing for you to worry about...

7. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

And those interstate highways terminate at ferry docks where they later meet up on the mainland :)

8. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

41051425-2.jpg

9. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I'm fairly certain that you're not allowed to swap out change from your drawer unless your manager expressly says it's okay. I'm also fairly certain that you need her/his permission EACH TIME. It's fairly standard practice that change can only be given to customers in a retail setting. If you need change, as an employee, you need your manager's approval. I realize you're going to say it's a dumb policy, but it's a fairly common one. It is a part of the drawer count variance policy: Employees are not allowed to take from or add to their cash register drawer from their pockets, wallet, etc. It's in place to ensure proper customer service and minimize loss.

As for the Canadian dime, did you report that to your manager so that you could get a proper dime?

The interstate highways exist for a simple reason: money. Hawaii couldn't afford to build adequate roadways connecting the military bases, so the federal government stepped in. Once the roads were federally paid for, they were obviously federal highways. Alaska also has interstate highways, even though they're not connected to any other state. Personally, I'd like to know why Puerto Rico has an interstate highway, when they're not even a state!

10. Detecto92

When I 1st started at Target as a cashier, I would ask the supervisor if I could swap out change.

Well it got to the point where they were annoyed any time I ask.

Although it only occured maybe once a week, they acted like it it was such an inconvenience they had to stop whatever menial task they were doing so I could open my drawer.

So I got fed up with it, and just started doing it without permission. They never once said anything.

When I was hired on at kmart, it was worse, the supervisors are always too busy to help unless it's really important.

There is a huge CCTV camera above my register, I figure if they didn't like me doing it they would've said something.

11. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Those menial tasks such as what??? running the store. How dare they become annoyed that you want a wheat cent. Why not put the coins of interest in the side bin of the till and trade at the end of your shift. You only have to ask once. Sound easy to me.

12. Detecto92

I have to put my drawer contents in a cash bag that is in the drawer when my shift is over. I cannot take the drawer to the service desk (they don't like anyone doing that).

The only other solution would to take the coins up there, but then I would have to leave my drawer there, and that is a big no-no.

13. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Well then... nevermind.

14. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

You started doing it without permission, but because no one has said anything about it (yet), that means it's 100% OK to do...right?

15. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Did you notice that he has since been employed elsewhere?

16. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I sincerely hope it has nothing to do with looking through coins without permission...

17. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

18. Detecto92

That had nothing to do with it. I was only hired for seasonal help.

Who gives a flip if I switch out coins? All they care about is that the balance matches at the end of the day.

19. Bambooski

Bambooski Obsessed YN :)

Aww beat me to it! :p

20. Detecto92

What rubbish is this? If they gave me a dime, they would be short a dime, if the coin counter does not take the dime, then I'm short a dime. No matter how you slice it, someone is going to be a dime short.

Employees of whom, Wayne Enterprises or The Daily Planet?

Every place has it's own policy. What the flip is a "drawer count variance policy"? A google search reveals nothing, it sounds like a load of barnacles you made out of $10 words just to sound fancy.

Again, WHO says? Of which company's training manual does this stipulate?

I'm not giving change to any employees. I'm swapping out coins with my own, it's an even trade.

Customer service? In what planet does swapping out change have to do with customer service.

The only think Kmart policy states is that I'm responsible for my drawer. If any money comes up missing, I'm responsible, if there is extra, I'm responsible.

I'm responsible that when I turn in my cash bag, if the computer says $456.79, then my bag should have $456.79 in it. Does not matter if it's customers money or mine that makes the balance even.

21. Bambooski

Bambooski Obsessed YN :)

As long as the supervisor was okay with it once I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to swap coins whenever you like as long as it doesn't interfere with your work. Either way, congrats on your find!

Draft saved Draft deleted