Fake Mexican silver pesos

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by kforbes862, May 15, 2012.

1. kforbes862

kforbes862 Well-Known Member

I bought these 2 silver mexican pesos last weekend knowing 99% sure they were fake. I got them home and i am now sure 100% they are fake. who would fake these and why? they seem to be decent reproductions in any case. it goes to show that there are fakes of every kind of coin out there. pesos 001.jpg pesos2 001.jpg one is a 1910 1 peso, the other is a 1968 25 peso.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

WOW those ARE fake....are they silver at least or do they fail the magnet test?

4. kforbes862

kforbes862 Well-Known Member

i tried the magnet test on them, and neither one of them are attracted to a magnet. i'm not sure what they are actually made of though

5. PaperBug

PaperBug New Member

I was kinda surprised today when I realized that 1873 (?) 5 Lire coin I bought was fake. Couldn't find the KP book to referrence the dimensions and who woulda thunk something like a 5 Lire in heavily worn condition or a Peso for that matter would be counterfeited.... people are unscrupulous. the same guy with the Italian coin had a 1889O Morgan that weighed 19 grams. should have been a red flag.

6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

They are not made of silver, which is why even common coins worth only bullion value are counterfeited.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Ok, maybe the photos are hazy for me, but exactly why do you think they are fake/counterfeit? A real 1 peso of 1910 has the same design you show and weighs 27.07 grams and was 39mm and made of 90.27% silver, The type 1 1968 25 peso coin is 38mm, 22.5 grams and 72% silver, with a lettered edge "INDEPENDENCIA Y LIBERTAD"

I am not sure what you and the others see that gives you the confidence.

Jim

8. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Weakness in some details, grainy looking surfaces, strong rim irregularities on the 1910 coin, highly unlikely matching appearance and peripheral brownish toning that has been applied.

Also the dull surfaces. Silver is among the must lustruos metals. They can fake the color, but not the luminosity.

9. ahole

ahole New Member

i recently bought a scale to weigh the coins after buying a fake 1948 Canadian silver dollar (VF condition for $28 - yes I knew it was a fake but it looked really good from the photos). On close inspection once I recieved it - you could tell it was a casting(under 25x magnification) - but a damn good fake. Diameter was correct, but the weight was under by about 20%.

10. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

Forgers often make their forgeries thicker than normal to give the coin more weight. The range of normal thickness is not a standard measurement but it should be.

serafino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted