Euro Banknote Code Letters.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Aidan Work, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

For those who are collecting the Euro banknotes,here is a list of the code
    letters that will identify which country they come from.The code letters are found at the start of the serial numbers on the back of the Euro notes.

Austria - N.
    Belgium - Z.
    Finland - L.
    France - U.
    Germany - X.
    Greece - Y.
    Ireland - T.
    Italy - S.
    Luxembourg - R.
    & the Netherlands - P.

The Irish Euro notes are of interest to collectors of British Commonwealth banknotes such as myself.I have got the Irish 5 Euro & 10 Euro notes dated 2002.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Guess you won't find any euro notes other than those "from" 2002. The year on each note is just part of the copyright notice and has nothing to do with the year when the note was made.

For example, the new notes with Jean-Claude Trichet's signature have that "2002" as well, even though he became ECB president in late 2003. Also, since Jan-2002 euro notes have been produced following a pooling scheme, with only one to three national central banks commissioning the production of one denomination.

Christian

4. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Christian,I haven't seen any Euro notes with Jean-Claude Trichet's signature yet.Mine are all ones with the signature of Wim Duizenberg.I don't know why Pick won't list them under the individual countries,given the fact that they are part of the numismatic history of the country concerned.Have you looked at www.irishpapermoney.com ? This website shows the Irish Euro notes.

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Well, I am not a paper money collector but just use euro notes every day :) And of course one could consider euro notes "made in Ireland" to be the continuation of the punt notes.

On the other hand, the purpose of the new cash is to be used by people anywhere in "Euroland", and the European Central Bank controls how many (new) notes are issued etc. Between Jan-1999 and Dec-2001, ie. in the three years when the euro existed as a cashless currency only, every national central bank (NCB) was responsible for the production of all denominations.

When the euro cash became legal tender in Jan-2002, that system was replaced by a decentralized pooling scheme, where new notes are not made everywhere any more. If you go here http://www.ecb.int/bc/faqbc/figures/html/index.en.html#banknotes and look at the "NCBs commissioning production" column, you'll notice that Ireland (IE) has in the past couple of years been responsible for the production of the €10 notes.

As for the ECB president, well, due to the production volume the overwhelming majority of euro notes circulating here have Duisenberg's signature :) Here is more information about Trichet's signature; also note how the "2002" remains unchanged:
    http://www.ecb.int/bc/banknotes/looks/html/trichetsignature.en.html

Christian

6. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Does anyone know what code letters have been assigned for the Slovenian Euro banknotes,the Cypriot Euro banknotes,& the Maltese Euro banknotes? The code letters are the prefix letters at the start of the serial numbers on the backs of the Euro banknotes.

Aidan.

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The code of Banka Slovenije is "G" but so far no euro notes with that letter have been issued. The codes for Cyprus and Malta are not known yet.

All three (CY, MT, SI) decided to initially use existing euro notes. That is, they "borrow" notes from Eurosystem central banks first. Later, when new notes need to be printed anyway, there will also be notes commissioned by the central banks of Cyprus, Malta and Slovenia.

By the way, Banco de España uses "V" as its serial number prefix; Banco de Portugal has the "M".

Christian

8. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Bring on the Cypriot & Maltese Euro banknotes! I can't wait to get a pair of the 5 & 10 Euros,just like I have with the Irish ones.

Aidan.

9. Tuno

Tuno New Member

Hello,

There arn´t €-notes of Cyprus or Malta of 5 and 10€, until this years they had been autorized to produce only 20€.

B. Regards.

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Well, next year (2011) both Cyprus and Malta - and also Slovakia and Slovenia - will commission the production of €5 and €20 notes. :) By the way, Slovenia has the country (or rather central bank) code H, Cyprus got G, Malta has the F, and Slovakia got the E. So it is not exactly unreasonable to assume that Estonia (which will introduce the euro in four months) gets the D ...

Christian

11. Tuno

Tuno New Member

Hello,

Yes, but also Slovakia was authorized to issue notes this year, until now nobody know nothing about these. Maybe they could be keeping.

Remember that the first notes from Ireland of 20€ T signed by Duisenberg have the short code K002, and signed by Trichet (Second) have K001 and K003. It´s means that some notes can be reserved for future, could be happen the same with Slovakia €-notes.

Estonia will not issue €-notes next year.

Check this link

http://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/euro/production/html/index.en.html

Regards.

12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Ha, I did! ;)

Nah, not really ... but I am a EuroBillTracker, and in the EBT forum somebody wrote about this in late April or early May. He had asked the NBS, and they wrote him "that the first euro banknotes procured by the National Bank of Slovakia bearing the country code E will be produced this year in the Joh. Enschedé Banknotes B.V., Netherland. The denomination of these banknotes will be the 20 euro." Have not seen any of those myself though.

Christian

13. Tuno

Tuno New Member

Interesting......... we will wait for this note, my cousin is living there, if he takes someone even in circulation, he will tell me, by the moment he have not any news.

About the Netherlands printer "G", I supposed it, they are maden most of 20€ notes, like Finland, Malta, Cyprus, Netherlands and Slovenia, even are madden banknotes of 10€ to Germany.

Here in Madrid are giving "normal" notes, 5€V M010, 10€P G013, 20€V M021.... next year Spain is not authorized to produce 20€ notes, so I hope take someone "rare" at the Central Bank.

Regards.

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yes, in several euro countries a call for tenders system is now used: A national central bank says, we need to have so and so many notes of this and that denomination produced - now which printer makes us the best offer?

Here in Germany the Bundesbank just ordered most of the 2011 issue volume from Joh. Enschedé (NL) and Oberthur (FR). (The two have been involved before, but to a limited extent only.) Of course the "local" printers, Bundesdruckerei and Giesecke & Devrient, are not exactly happy about that, and still try to get a piece of the production cake so to say. But expect to see more G/X and E/X notes in the future ...

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted