Erickson Artifical Limb Good Luck Token

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by LostDutchman, Oct 29, 2011.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Hey Gang!

I picked this up yesterday. I thought it was a strange one and I wanted to share. Several Google searched didn't turn up much of anything about these.
    token1.jpg token2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. I will give this thread 12 hours before the mods close it down. TC

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

5. rickmp

It was posted by a MOD!

6. LOL...ok, then another Mod will do it. :eek: :D. TC

7. LostDutchman

8. rickmp

These seem to go back to the early twentieth century, prior to the Third Reich, before the swastika became what it is today.

Do you think Hitler chose the swastika because it was a symbol of good luck?

9. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Thats a great looking piece! On the side showing the symbols of good luck, I recognize all but whatever that is in the lower left quadrant. What is that?
    Guy

10. LostDutchman

no idea... anyone?

11. rickmp

Egyptian?

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree it has to be before around 1930 or so. I have seen many obscure good luck tokens. This one has a ton going for it, prosthetic leg, (when is the last time you saw one of these on a numismatic item?), good luck symbols, (yes a swastika was a good luck symbol), and excellent quality. Heck of a token, and from where I live now, but no I have no more idea than that, sorry.

Btw, I don't know why anyone would think a mod would shut this thread down. We are more advanced here than the rest of the herd, and smart enough to know the nazis do not own this venerated, ancient symbol. I have an ancient Indian coin with a swastika too, is that Hitler propaganda from 2000 years prior? I wish that idiot would have chosen a less ancient, less respected, symbol for his stupid party and dumb ideas. Hopefully my grandchildren will be able to use the symbol with fear of being called nazis.

Chris

13. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

The symbol is still used regularly here in the Southwest by native peoples as a sign of good luck.
    Guy

14. raider34

raider34 Active Member

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The Good luck die was a kind of stock die. I've seen it combined with other dies.

An artificial limb good luck token? Is it just me or does that sound somewhat oxymoronic?

16. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

lol!

Draft saved Draft deleted