Eisenhower 1972 Gold Plated Dollar coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rs44313, May 27, 2007.

1. rs44313

rs44313 New Member

First off, I am a novice at coin collecting. Any assistance you can provide will be very much appreciated. I have a 1972 Eisenhower Gold Plated (I'm assuming not a "real gold coin" ) Dollar coin. I cannot find this in any coin book or online source. It is definately NOT painted on by somebody either bored or playing a joke. It very much appears to be part of the manufacturing process. Can anybody shed any light on this?

Thank You,
    Bob

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy Bob - Welcome to the Forum !!

The gold plating is done by private companies after the coins leave the US Mint. They do this and then sell the coins as novelties to people who don't collect coins. They make a huge profit doing this because people who don't collect coins think they are really getting something when in reality they getting are getting a damaged coin that no collector would be interested in owning. They sell these things for $14.95 - $19.95 - as much as they can get for them. But when it comes right down to it they are only worth $1. The value of the gold involved is less than 1 cent.

4. rs44313

rs44313 New Member

Thank you for the info. That is very helpful. For a moment there I thought I had come upon a US Mint mistake. Thanks again.

5. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

ike dollar

before i don't want ike dollar. simply its designed is not good. but now, years afterward, i like it. but i don't want to pay premium for it.

6. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I was never really impressed by the design

Draft saved Draft deleted