EBAY SCAM!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by coins776, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

As they say, 46.5% of all statistics are fabricated. You can't possibly buy from every eBay seller, so any attempt to claim percentages of honest or dishonest sellers is pure guesswork.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

It's his opinion. Why take offense that he has that opinion? There are plenty of ebay sellers on CT that are honest sellers, who conduct business in the most professional way and who are not listing to scam people. But ebay takes from all over the world..... perhaps only one percent are 'honest'..... and perhaps people don't mind that they deal with dishonest people (mildly dishonest people) if they get what they want from it?

4. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

I take offense not only as a seller, but also because I hate logical fallacies. His statement was not even deserving of the label "opinion." It was nothing more than a hasty generalization.

I buy almost all of my coins from Ebay(several auctions per week typically), and I rarely encounter dishonest sellers. As a matter of fact, I can recall only one over the past couple of years. If even 20% of Ebay sellers were dishonest, I would not still be using Ebay.

rlm's cents likes this.
  5. jallengomez

And don't confuse ignorant with dishonest. If a seller is just completely clueless and ignorant, you can usually spot them from a mile away. Just laugh at them and don't buy from them.

C-B-D and rlm's cents like this.
  6. coins776

coins776 no title

ebay scam update #2. i told the seller that he should pay for the cost of the postage to ship the coins back to him because the coins are not close to the description. he got mad and said that the auction states that the buyer pays for the return shipping. i reminded him the auction also states that the coins are supposed to be from the early 19th and 20th century and explained that this was not true. he then offered me a deal, he said that he would give me a refund on the condition that i leave him positive five stars feedback. i filed a case with ebay and told them what he is doing. he then responded to the case by again saying that the auction says that the buyer pays for return shipping, and that he wants me to take photos of each coin to prove the dates of the coins. how do you like that? the guy is a liar and a crook and then he twists everything around to try and place blame on the buyer. i have not figured out why so many people think that ebay is a great place to buy things. quite frankly, ebay is the worst place to buy things that i can think of.

7. jallengomez

See my post above. I have purchased literally thousands of things from Ebay and rarely have a problem. I use them almost exclusively for my coins. It's the best place I can find.

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

ME THREE!

I think I have returned a total of one coin this year. I have probably bought 300 so far

9. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Then why in the world did you decide to purchase from them, if, as you have said, it is the worst place to buy things, and less than 1% of all sellers are dishonest?

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

After all the crying about not being able to make money off of coins, and his anti-ebay rants, it seems to me that the OP should have (and likely did) know better, and therefore should shoulder some of the blame here. Not to defend the seller, but if it looks like a skunk, and smells like a skunk....

What were you really expecting for $5.40 shipped, not to mention that if this guy is selling "unsearched" lots (regardless of if true or not), how can you expect him to know exactly what you would receive? If you do not want them, just send them back and be done with it. Is a few bucks really worth the time and stress?

jallengomez likes this.
  11. coins776

coins776 no title

you miss the point. it is not about the price of the coins or (what did i expect). it is that type of attitude that makes ebay such a paradise for crooked sellers. sure, just let them get away with it and don't complain. well, i am going to complain. i am sick and tired of criminals running things in this world. anyone who knows right from wrong could agree with me. and by the way, the seller states in his listing for the lots, that the coins are from the early 19th and early 20th century. i think that the buyers could expect at least a few older coins to be in the lots based on that desciption.

12. jallengomez

If you got something that was not as promised, then by all means complain to the seller and Ebay, but don't start throwing around unfounded blanket statements.

non_cents likes this.
  13. coins776

coins776 no title

14. coins776

coins776 no title

you know what, i am tired of your slander about me and your know it all attitude. if you want to get cheated by ebay sellers then that is your problem. why don't you ever speak up for what is right, instead of babbling throwing around and petty insults.

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Lets calm down a little. This thread will continue on the same point/counterpoint theme. EBay has very decent protection for buyers who use paypal, so if anyone doesn't like what they get in the mail ~get a refund. That is what most posters agreed. Trying to make it a major case doesn't help anyone's day. No, I do wish the world was perfect for all, but in reality, life will constantly make you face all types of individuals, and you can't chsnge them if they do not like the alternative, and this is 2 anonymous parties who know very little about each other. I sell litttle on eBay, but find there are ( IMO) far more honest sellers there than not. Of course, I am more interested in the coins than the deal.
    I am closing the thread as it is getting rather personal with little benefit to memebrs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.