EBAY SCAM UPDATE! SHOULD I CALL THE POLICE?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by coins776, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coins776

coins776 no title

4. coins776

coins776 no title

does everybody still think that i am wrong about the seller?

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Yes.

Before I say anything else and just so we are clear on this…

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slander

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/slander

Now, if anyone has been slandered in this and the other thread, would it not be this guy?
    http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=lrf4p73&ftab=FeedbackLeftForOthers

This was taken directly from the listing in question, and IMO, makes it rather clear that there were no guarantees.

“But the reality is that all sellers of large volumes of circulated world coins know that we generally don’t have time to hand sort the perfect mix of coins for all the orders we receive.
    The coins are scooped or counted out and may have duplicates, a number of the same countries, stains, damage, holes, tokens or may not be that clean. Unlike other sellers I do not hide this fact from you and do my best to offer a quality product.”

All this nonsense about this guy being a thief and the OP calling the police is just ridiculous. As I said before, this is not worth the time and stress, so just let it go. A $5 education is nothing in this business, so he should count himself lucky.

Keep them or send them back... it is as simple as that. Good luck to you, sir.

Jwt708 likes this.
  6. coins776

coins776 no title

in case you did not read my posts, it was the seller who said that he would take legal action against me if i get a refund, BEFORE i said anything about calling the police. get your facts straight. if you feel sorry for this seller for being a criminal then i don't know what is wrong with your thinking. and the seller did say that the coins are from the early 19th and early 20th century. what is wrong with everybody?

7. coins776

coins776 no title

8. tgaw

tgaw Member

if it is important enough to you you should report him and also use the paypal resourse I have done both before and it works.

9. coins776

coins776 no title

i am trying to help others wise up so they don"t get scammed on ebay, deal with it. you have preached to me from the start here on cointalk, but you really have not said anything. you always seem to say the complete opposite of what is true.

10. x115

x115 Collector

in my opinion, I would stop communicating with the seller.(its getting you no where)

I would go through the necessary steps needed to exercise your buyers protection.
    then let ebay(or paypal) handle it.

then I would walk away from the computer and find something else to do.

you will fell better.

11. coins776

coins776 no title

i have noticed for quite some time now that the average person will say the opposite of what is correct. you say that i am calling the seller a theif, but yet you did not mention that it was the seller who accused me of theft if i get a refund for the coins. the seller said that before i started this thread. lets face it, you would say that i am wrong about anything and everything, no matter what the facts are.

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Stop your gritching and call eBay. Had you done that yesterday, this would have been over yesterday. Instead you have spend 10 times as much trying to tell all the eBay sellers are "dishonest". It is 5 whole dollars. Either live with it or get eBay to resolve it.

beef1020, non_cents and x115 like this.
  13. coins776

coins776 no title

i stopped communicating with the seller after i called ebay today. they said that i should not say anymore to the seller and just leave the investigation up to ebay. at this point i don't even want a refund, i just want the truth to be told about the seller. i know me, and i am probably going to be angry about that seller for many years. dave holds grudges for a long time. it is really about the things the seller said and the way that he lied about everything, and not so much about the $5.40 that the coins cost.

14. coins776

coins776 no title

don't tell me to stop complaining. if you don't like what i have to say then don't read it. and if you read my posts then you would know that i already called ebay.

15. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

16. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

By all means, call the police on this seller and give them the full story...just don't be surprised if the police laugh as you try to explain that you want your $5 back.

rlm's cents likes this.
  17. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Slander holds little water in court. How do you think the tabloids get away with it?

To start off, to win a slander case, you MUST prove economic harm or damages.

But even then, with court costs, no one is going to sue over slander for a $5 item. A business would have to loose thousands and show proof of such to win a case.

So you can throw this whole "slander" crapola out the window booky.

You can say ANYTHING about a person you want, it only counts as slander if its false. Even then, the chance of being sued is slim to none unless there was money lost or if the person became a social outcast because of it.

So if someone steals say a gold ring from a store, and they were caught and arrested, I can call that person a thief. That is not a false statement.

Let's do a little investigative work...

That seller had a few auctions, the bidder page shows what percentage of bids were placed with that seller.

Didn't really see anything that lept out at me.

So let's run him through toolhaus...

Nothing bad there...

Now on to the point..

It does not matter if this seller sold a $5 batch of coins, or a $50,000 batch of coins.

If the seller said:
    Then there should be such.

coins776 likes this.
  18. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

It clearly says This lot contains Early19th & 20th Century Coins.

If you got no early 19th century coins in there, then the item is not as described. Pure and simple. If the coins you got were mostly late 20th century coins and early 21st century coins, and there was one early 19th century coin and one early 20th century coin in it, then the description is accurate.

In your first post on this you said "the oldest coin in the lot is from 1968, ". 1968 is not early anything, it is mid to late 20th century.

Based on what you have said, you did not receive what he said you would, therefore it is "not as described". You actually tried to deal with the seller with no good result between the two of you and he is extorting feedback and threatening you outside of ebay. At this point, (hopefully you paid with paypal), and file a not as described report with ebay. They will NOT make you return the coins at your expense. You should get your money back. If you can put feedback, do so after you get your money back. Unless the seller says they will pay for return shipping, do not return the coins... they will be yours as the seller will have considered abandoning them.

If you didn't pay by paypal and ebay won't support you, keep the coins and put the worst feedback you can for him. If you get any more threats from him, document them and get those to ebay.

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

FWIW, if you took this thing to court and sue the seller for false advertizing or bait and switch or whatever, the seller would win. He says that his lot (the one from which he is selling 1/4 pound) contains early coins. At no point does he say that every sale will contain early coins.

BTW, I realize that you and Tim do not read it that way, but I will bet dollars to donuts that 99% of the judges read it that way.

20. Detecto92

Most of the sellers who threaten make very empty threats, all bark and no bite.

Hopefully paypoo will give you your money back.

At that point, leave appropriate feedback, block the seller from yourself, and move on.

21. Detecto92

He says "THIS lot will contain".

He did not say "this lot may contain" or "you might find in this lot".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.