Ebay mistake costs big money

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jaceravone, Apr 14, 2014.

1. flintcreek6412

flintcreek6412 Active Member

I would not be happy if I spent good money on a "perfect" coin and got less than perfect eye appeal for a slab flaw. I know it bugs me when I get a coin online where they focused past the scratches in the slab and I get a slab so beat up it really does detract from the eye appeal of the coin. That's the risk of older slabs that have been passed around a bit. But not something that was this new.

I wouldn't blame the seller, buyer or ebay. IMO NGC put out an inferior product. Why the awful slab and not edgeview that present all coins so much better? Why the smudge? After 20+ years in business they should have a product that doesn't produce that problem. Would you all accept your $400 iPhone with a similar defect? Likely no. So why this coin?

I bought an NGC slabbed modern to fill a type set spot. It's obvious it was sent in with a bulk submission and the seller never put hands on the coins, only the graders at NGC yet there was a big fingerprint on it that will certainly get uglier with time. He and I worked out a deal but it was only a $10 coin.

I know this site is loaded with "sellers" that stick together and can't stand buyers either returning stuff or negotiating for lower prices, but that's part of the market. It's a shame the seller lost his huge profit margin but I wouldn't like the coin if the slab was not to my liking either. And I would probably send it back to. If I was buying a VF35 or something I wouldn't care, but a perfect coin MS70 I would want everything looking good and it has nothing to do with buyers remorse. It might be in this case, but there is no way to know for certain so why throw assumptions out there about this guys character.

If the buyer started a thread first about getting the coin with a slab problem and said dealer should have disclosed it, 99% on here would agree with the post and slam the seller.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I completely understand what you are saying...but I don't think this is what happened here. First, the smudge can be seen in the photos...so their shouldn't be a surprise there. Also, there is another reason (one that makes a ton more sense)...buyers remorse.

I know that's not a "good reason" but it makes the most sense. These coins were HOT when they first came out (and I mean RED HOT). Those who got their hands on the first examples quickly sold them and made big money. Even only a couple weeks later...the prices have dropped significantly. Yes, they are still expensive and still a hot item...but not $5K hot like they were. I'm sure the buyer realized this and returned it within the return window. I believe the slab smudge was an excuse.

It's not the "right" thing to do on the buyers part...but it's within the rules.

Oh, and I'm not really a seller so I don't have anyone to "stick together" with.

green18 likes this.
  4. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Yep, think the buyer would have returned it if the price had gone up?

5. CamaroDMD

Not for a second.

6. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I dont see a scam here. I don't know why you blame Ebay. Ebay buyers have a 14 day return policy, If you choose to sell on ebay you follow their rules.

Heater likes this.
  7. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

In this case the reason the coin was 4k was the slab. So yes you would want the slab perfect

8. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone said it was a scam. The original poster said he made a mistake by allowing returns. I think he accepted fault.

I don't think the buyer did anything wrong. He put down a lot of money on a coin from a seller who has a lenient return policy. Then he changed his mind.

9. CamaroDMD

I agree...no scam here. I think what the buyer did is a little "underhanded" but it's certainly within the stated policy. IMHO, it's just not the right thing to do from the buyers perspective.

10. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

what does IMHO mean?

11. krispy

krispy krispy

IMHO

bdunnse likes this.
  12. jaceravone, NOS, bkozak33 and 2 others like this.
  13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

In my humble opinion.......

14. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

15. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

Darn kids wit yer wacky terminology

jaceravone likes this.
  16. CamaroDMD

It's true...I'm totally a kid and that's never gonna change. :D

17. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Actually, it was 4k for the label, not the slab. The slab is only worth $10. ;) ....and the label was perfect!

18. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

That is not true. If I had the coin and the label cracked out of the plastic holder, It is not a 4k coin;)

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

There's fools willing to pay moon money for labels. That's their business and preference for collecting.

CamaroDMD likes this.
  20. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy either. I really hate it Joe! Hope everything works out.

21. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Thanks Jay. I really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Draft saved Draft deleted