EBay Fraud BEWARE.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by LostDutchman, Apr 12, 2012.

1. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Don't back down from this Lost, stick to you guns. Weasels like this guy should not be allowed to get away with this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp USDA PRIME Supporter

Dutch, on behalf of all ebay sellers, thank you for making the effort to get this fixed. I hope the dirtbag on the other end gets it in the end (no pun intended). Federal penalties for defrauding through the USPS are quite harsh. Make an example of him.
  4. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Moderator Moderator

I plan on it... it is funny tho from what I can find of him.. he's not poor... He seems to own several franchize food buisnesses in his state. The shipping address happened to be to their office.
  5. splintercellsz

splintercellsz CTs Local DJ

Blocked him, thank you for the heads up!
  6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member Supporter

Integrity has never been purchasable. One of the most respectable and honorable men I have ever known was dirt poor, and some of the sleaziest scum I have ever unfortunately met were well off.

Money never makes a man, honor and integrity do.

I know what you mean though Matt, it would have been expected and maybe a little more forgivable if such actions were coming from someone who had little other choices in life, (in his mind anyway). :(
    vlaha likes this.
  7. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

Nice was that using sellers' paypal name or his ebay name and information? There could be a chance he is related or coworker and is using someone eles name.
  8. LostDutchman

I thought that as well... It was all named to the same person tho.
  9. pairunoyd

pairunoyd Junior Member

What buyers dont understand is that all of this protection by paypal/ebay actually costs you more than unprotected transactions in the long run if: you're a smart buyer. If you didnt have protection youd use better sellers for higher ticket items and you wouldnt suddenly make a much larger buy than normal. You see, if you spend an average of $200/transaction and you get ripped off every 15 transactions (which would be insanely high and would most likely be every 200), then you'll still come out ahead because the protection that PP/ebay gives adds to the cost of doing business, which of course is added to the price of items sold. And all of this protection hurts sellers that try to do the right thing. I mean, why should a buyer be overly concerned if the seller sucks or not if he can simply get his money back no matter what???

They should offer protection at an extra price and buyers should be allowed to sell or not sell to those using that protection. There really needs to be another ebay to come along. Its just hard to get buyers to go elsewhere right now.

Id suggest that sellers try to keep their auctions within a norm of prices and dont sell items that are suddenly 3 or more times higher than your typical price, because if that big sell ends up getting scammed by the buyer, it hurts a whoooole lot more than if its a sell thats w/i your norm.

Is there a site that helps sellers identify fraudulent buyers? Probably hard to do since these buyers probably create new names. Why cant people be good???
  10. pairunoyd

pairunoyd Junior Member

I spend a certain amt yearly on ebay and have some sort of advantage plus or something. I wonder if this and all my many many sells from the past would assist me if i were to be cheated by a buyer???
  11. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

You know, I was just thinking of something after catching up on this thread:

Actions like this from buyers may force eBay sellers to increase their shipping charges to include restricted delivery/signature required as part of their terms of sale.
  12. pairunoyd

pairunoyd Junior Member

Fortunately, I dont think this fraud is real prevalent, and im sure itd really die down if repeat offenders could be more consistently hindered.

How many times have any of you sellers been defrauded by a buyer? Ive probably sold 300 items during the era of PP's buyer protection and have yet to be hit. However, I know it can really bring you down emotionally when it does happen. I think about it on every sale. Whatd be bad is if a buyer bought several of your highest value auctions and you shipped them in one box and then they do a chargeback.

As long as the ripoffs aren't more than a few percent of your total sales.

You also might want to take the time to review the buyer's feedback before shipping. Actually READ it, because as we know the only way a seller can leave negative feedback is by leaving positive feedback. lol How sad.

Also, if I have a potential buyer email me with weird comments, Ill block them. I had a woman tell me that if I charge more for shipping and handling than the postage shows, she'll leave a neg. So I blocked her.
  13. Stang1968

Stang1968 New Member

Glad to see that you're following up with PayPal and Ebay on this LostDutchman, and I hope it is resolved to your satisfaction.
    I was burned by eBay in 2001, but it was due to UPS and not the buyer.
  14. britcoin

britcoin New Member

thanks for the heads up.
  15. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member Supporter

I have been told of only one place where all the people in it are good. Unfortunately you have to die in order to get there.
  16. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Good to hear you getting through and having some forward progress. Ebay and Paypal can be a pain to deal with, but sometimes they do have satisfactory customer service. I wonder if its because they're getting so many complaints.
  17. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage

Blocked his sniveling, lying little posterier!! :D I hate dirt bags like that!! :eek:
  18. britcoin

britcoin New Member

I have blocked him also. That is just wrong.. I mean if the guy needs money for food or shelter I can send him a few bucks.. there is no need to rip someone off
  19. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Thanks for letting us know about this. Blocked :D
  20. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

I'm a new member and since I didn't want to start out on a negative note, I posted a happy note in the Introductions forum. Now that my first post is done and over with, here we go:

I'm done with FeeBay! Especially after reading this thread!

I recently sold 10x 2004 Silver Proof Sets and was shocked at how much the fees totaled up to between FeeBay and PayPal! I was almost willing to write it off as "Well, I guess I'm willing to pay that as long as they have my back in the event the buyer is a scammer." I've heard in the past that they usually side with the buyer and the burden of proof is on the seller, but I was hoping things had changed.

Thanks for the update that they still do not have the seller's back. Despite having all the catchy "Sellers Protection" garbage, you gotta read the fine print.

Luckily, the guy I sold my sets to seems like a stand up guy and I don't expect him to try and scam me, but who knows...

In the end, I'd much rather deal with people in forums like this and allow the seller to pocket 100% of the sale price. I've never been scammed by someone who is an established member of an interest group forum.
  21. LostDutchman

I will have to say that this is the first time in over 5000 transactions that someone has done that.