EBay Fraud BEWARE.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by LostDutchman, Apr 12, 2012.

1. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

This would actually be worth pursuing it through the courts and/or criminally with the police.

PayPal and eBay are not the last word on situations like this and the only way you'll recover either the item or the money back from the buyer is to pursue it.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

I'd start with the Postal Inspectors.
    But if the item was insured, why not file a claim?
  4. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

That just sounds stupid! I feel sorry for you.
  5. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Moderator Moderator

Because it's shown as delivered... once they mark it delivered... it's been delivered according to the USPS and anything that happened after that is not under their control. I have had that issue before as well.
  6. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

If it was insured, filing a claim would recoup the loss.

However, if this was by design on the buyer's part, why let them get away with it that easy?

If this was by design of the buyer, they're counting on the fact that the seller would NOT pursue this through the civil courts, or criminally as most sellers wouldn't go through the expense.
  7. snapsalot

snapsalot New Member

I think you need to pursue this with paypal much more thoroughly.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm sorry to hear that this happened. I've posted elsewhere about the near-disaster that caused me to stop selling on eBay (although I've lately dipped my toe back in).

If I were in your shoes, I would at least demand that eBay/PayPal explain what part of the requirements for Seller Protection I had failed to meet...?
  9. Blissskr

Blissskr Active Member

You could also think about filing a mail fraud case against this person.
  10. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Sadly, I don't think this case would or could be considered mail fraud or at least it would be very hard to prove. USPS noted the item was delivered but if the person claims they never got such package, then it's all hearsay honestly. It would be a different story if a signature was required and recorded before the delivery was to be made.

Most mail fraud cases are against the person who sends the fraudulent mail, not the recipient.
  11. green18

green18 Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

If enough people (sellers) complained to the postal service about this guy, wouldn't they then investigate? I mean, it's obvious this guy is committing some form of fraud.
  12. x115

x115 Collector

sorry to hear that.

I recommend using registered mail with signature confirmation on high priced items.

he is BLOCKED !
  13. rickmp

rickmp USDA PRIME

Registered Mail, Return Receipt and Restricted Delivery. That way the addressee must provide positive ID in order to sign for and receive the package.
  14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Maybe, but I wouldn't buy anything under those conditions. I'm never home and work, when I work, if i work, long hours.

Ruben
  15. x115

x115 Collector

if the buyer is not home to sign for the package. it can be picked up at the post office with a signature.
  16. x115

x115 Collector

but a buyer can still say the package was empty. but you would have to be a real jerk to say that.
  17. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Yeah - which part of I work long hours when I work, wasn't clear?
  18. x115

x115 Collector

thats why I said a "BUYER"! not you!

that was pretty clear sir

a lot of sellers require a signature. so "buyers" need to consider that when bidding.

If some one works long hours, its not wise to leave a package with an expensive coin in the mail box for a long period of time.
  19. geekpryde

geekpryde Coin Geek

I wonder if having many people block the same ebay user ID in the course of a few hours sets off any alarm bells? Maybe ebay will take a deeper look into this punk? It will be a small victory when this scum goes to try and buy another coin from members here, and keeps getting "blocked by seller".
  20. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

This is what happens when you have a monopoly.
  21. AdamL

AdamL Likes Silver

Hey guys, I'm a pretty new ebayer. Can someone tell me how I add someone to my blocked list?
    And that is ridiculous that only a buyer can leave negs!