easy way to at a coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bruce m, Apr 8, 2011.

1. bruce m

bruce m New Member

are there any easy, simple ways to tone a coin.
    i take pennies , nickels, dimes and throw them in cups of random solutions and weird places.

nothing works (except 1 time i buried a nickel under a cactus and it turned brownish... hahahh)

im not going to sell them i just like trying to tone a normal circulating coin, thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JustinHoward

JustinHoward YoungNumismatist

Grab a pair of needlenose pliers and roast it on the stove. Drop it in a cup of water after, and most likely you will get a nice blueish purple tone if timed correctly!

4. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

Throw it in the oven.

5. bruce m

bruce m New Member

thanks, got any more and can i roast it with a lighter instead?

6. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

If you take it to a lighter it will just turn black, which rubbs off.

7. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Bad subject matter sounds like a coin doctor in training

8. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

Na I do the same thing to my coins, Just the new circulated ones, I would never ruin my preshious old ones :p

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The last time this subject was discussed, a very respected member got banned. If you want to learn how to AT coins, why don't you move to China and learn how to make counterfeits at the same time?

Chris

10. sgiorgis

sgiorgis Student of Numismatics

What about the vinegar/buffalo nickel thread from a few months ago? Where does education stop and sinister intentions start?
    The banning was from the conduct of the member vs. the content of thread?
    Steve

11. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

I remember that day

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No member has ever been banned, permanantly or temporarily, because of the subject being discussed. It has always been because of their personal behavior during the course of that discussion.

13. bruce m

bruce m New Member

sorry if you guys took this the wrong way, i just wanted to know how to make a purple or blue penny :'(

14. cpm9ball

No one said anything about the reason for the banning. No one said the discussion caused it.

I was at the poolroom skipping school the day Kennedy was assassinated. Maybe that was why he got shot.

Stop reading things into a statement that aren't there!

Chris

15. Mark14

Mark14 Star Wide Receiver

really? haha i know its nothing to laugh about but im sure in school everyone was flipping out

16. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

I have had succes retoning coins simply by placing them outside on a window sill or balcony ledge and letting mother nature take her course. After a few weeks of direct sunlight, acid rain drops, and wind blown dirt most coins, regardless of composition, will start to look more "natural" in appearance. I don't do this to deceive anyone. I do it because I like coins that look old and dirty (just my taste). And I only do it to coins that I acquire that look like they could use some "color".

17. GDJMSP

That's easy. Buy some MS70 and dip the coins in it.

18. GDJMSP

You should do the same.

19. cpm9ball

Source considered!

Chris

20. Elapid

Elapid Member

Have you tried magic markers? :)

21. Kevo

Kevo Junior Member