Double-struck Nabataean

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by askea, Mar 23, 2014.

1. askea

askea Active Member

This just arrived in the mail. I don't see these very often at all and this one really caught my eye. The double strike is so well aligned it almost looks purposeful. I really like the "new" dotted border on the reverse. IMG_4386.JPG IMG_4385.JPG IMG_4383.JPG IMG_4382.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Holy cow! I had to do a double-take to understand this-- even copied them into Photoshop to rotate and overlay the images. That is fantastic! It's like a trick portrait.

Sooooo jealous :)

askea likes this.
  4. askea

askea Active Member

At first I thought it was over-struck because the portraits look different but I think the second strike just distorted the first. It's neat how they look kinda serene in the first image and all angry in the second.

TIF likes this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That IS quite incredible. I was lazier than TIF and just stood on my head to look at the second image. Amazing!

stevex6 and askea like this.
  6. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

What the...:eek: That's stunning!

askea likes this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

how cool...it kind of messes with my head! i had to download the second pic and rotate it...my brain didn't want to believe it was the same coins. very interesting JA.

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Uh...I'm not the only one that collects Nabataeans round these parts.

That coin is a glorious mess, askea. I love it!

It looks like the coin flipped over in the stationary die after the first strike, then didn't get replaced with a blank flan, receiving the second.

askea likes this.
  9. askea

askea Active Member

It looks like the coin flipped over in the stationary die after the first strike, then didn't get replaced with a blank flan, receiving the second.[/quote]

So, are you of the opinion that these coins were struck after the flans were cut from the strips?

10. John Anthony

It's the most likely explanation for the error on this coin, but it doesn't rule out other types of minting techniques. Nabataean coins exhibit as much variance as Romans, and it's entirely possible that different techniques were used at different times.

Many coins of Aretas IV are clearly cut from strips, but others exhibit carefully trimmed flans, like this one...

aretasiv.jpg

Your coin appears to have come off a casting tree.

stevex6 likes this.
  11. askea

askea Active Member

Your coin appears to have come off a casting tree.[/quote]

Yes, I agree it does appear that way, and the only good explanation for this error would be that it was struck after the flan was separated from the tree.
    Have you seen many Nabataean error coins? They seem in short supply

12. John Anthony

No, I haven't seen many. I've seen a handful of double strikes, but none as impressive as yours. A brockage would be nice to own, but I've never come across one.

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, that's a very cool coin, askea ...

Yah, I didn't understand it as first, so I had to download the second pic and rotate it ... ummm, then I printed it on card-stock and cut it out with a pair of left-handed scissors ... then I carefully glued it in the center of an old vinyl LP ... finally, I played the vinyl on 78 RPM and I squinted slightly at the spinning disk (for the first 45 minutes to an hour I didn't notice very much happening at all, but then all of a sudden it became very clear to me!!)

=> congrats on this very cool Nabataean error coin, my lucky coin-friend!!

zumbly, vlaha, TIF and 2 others like this.
  14. John Anthony

That's some pretty advanced numismatic research there, Steve-o, lol.

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks dawg ... yah, I'm kinda like Doug's long-lost, retarded cousin from Canada (at times my methods may seem a bit out there, but I think that my results pretty much speak for themselves!!)

mounties9.jpg

askea and John Anthony like this.
  16. askea

askea Active Member

Stevex6 you are toooooo funny! Good old sense of Canadian humour:D

stevex6 likes this.
  17. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Very cool!

18. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Interesting strike. I dont collect these but its a very nice coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted