Does this look cleaned?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ken454, Apr 18, 2014.

1. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

best i could get of sellers pic, been looking for one of these, would like opinions on whether or not it looks like its been cleaned, thanks all...

$_103.jpg $_14.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Pictures can certainly be deceiving. I dislike the photos' lighting to begin with. If it hasn't been cleaned then the photos certainly make it look that way.

I'd stay away.

I'm sure there are better specimens elsewhere, these aren't too hard to come by.

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It looks as if it has been worked on at some point.
    The images make it tough to tell much more.

5. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'll apologize in advance for sidetracking your thread, but you got your answer and I just can't resist posting this. Got a devil inside me :shame:

So, let me ask the same question. Does this look cleaned ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I'll answer my own question. Yes, it has absolutely been cleaned. And that is the entire point ;)

7. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

What point did you make?

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Doug's coin is dipped. The dip stripped it of whatever cartwheel luster it had going for it and made it, well, look at it, rather bland. Shiny, but just hanging out on the surface. Buzzed out, just reflecting the light, any which way. Not by design, not the way the mint intended it. Those flow lines are long gone on that one. As to the OP's coin, that's cleaned. You see that in those fields. Again, just sitting there, buzzed out, not really saying much. Skinned. Flat. Drab. One-dimensional. Lifeless. A zombie.

Are you beginning to get the idea? :)

9. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

A lot clearer than just showing a picture and not saying anything about it except "that's the point". Thanks!

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

LOL, hear ya. :D

bdunnse likes this.
  11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The point is that there is a HUGE difference between cleaned, and harshly cleaned. The coin was slabbed by NGC. There are millions and millions of cleaned coins in NGC and PCGS slabs.

bdunnse likes this.
  12. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Thanks Doug, good example of a cleaned, but 'market-acceptable' coin...

Draft saved Draft deleted