Discovery 1979 Washington Quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rick Stachowski, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Had this one last year, at the Macomb Community College show, show it to some of the guys from coneca, will be a new discovery, but I have a little issue with myself, I could sent it to Tom, Kalantzis and get it slabbed, sure it will say discovery, what does everyone think, its the shipping, thats killing me A001 - 20130821_170155 (3)-horz.jpg A029 - 20140414_104908 (2).jpg A025 - 20140414_104721 (2).jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Rick,

I really don't collect quarters, so what am I supposed to see in your photo? Is it doubling or the pancake on the eagle's head? You should know that I'm pretty blind.

Chris

Coin-Dude likes this.
  4. Rick Stachowski

motto

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Some of it looks like it might be strike doubling, but parts look like true doubling. What about the top of the eagle's left wing (viewer's right)?

Just make sure that the person who authenticates it is recognized by the major grading services (ANACS, NGC or PCGS), and that the authenticator provides documentation.

Chris

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  6. Rick Stachowski

deleted

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  7. atrox001

atrox001 Senior Member

Where is the doubling that makes this a doubled die? It looks like MDD to me, in your last picture.

Larry Nienaber

8. Rick Stachowski

different light, thats all, first ones were taken in the morning light, with more magnification, did the other one tonight, with less magnification, already had check out, just wondering who to send it to, coneca can't get it slab, but tom can

9. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Oh Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Not the motto issue again :p

10. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

IF, it is validated as a doubled die, CONECA "will" get it slabbed by ANACS but you have to pick up the grading fee's and other costs associated with ANACS. You simply have to let the attributer know.

As for the coin itself, I'm leaning toward MDD.

11. Rick Stachowski

already had it look at, its good, but coneca doesn't send them out any more, there was to many issues, thats what I was told that at the last show in michigan, I always site with the gang lol thats what nice about shows, free to show, and if good, then bust out some cash lol

12. atrox001

atrox001 Senior Member

13. Rick Stachowski

its has a funny store behind the find, I showed it to Jim M, at the coin show, for a totally different reason, and hes the one that noticed it, I do have to says, my equipment doesn't get the job done, thats for sure, really have to photo each letter at 1000x to get the job done

14. 19Lyds

Having a CONECA Member look at the coin and having CONECA "Attribute the coin through their "authorized attributers" two completely different things.

In other words, being a CONECA Member does not automatically make one an expert qualified to identify and attribute variety coins.

15. Rick Stachowski

where did I ever say I showed the coin to a coneca member, show the coin to James Motley, and heres the gang images.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  16. 19Lyds

Sorry, did I misinterpret your original post where you said:

non_cents likes this.
  17. atrox001

atrox001 Senior Member

The way CONECA works, to get a new discovery and listing for your quarter, James Wiles has to see it. I'm sorry but I still don't think your quarter is a doubled die.

Larry Nienaber

18. Rick Stachowski

if the sun ever shine here, I'll get better images up, maybe jim will show-up, and say what I've already said

19. Rick Stachowski

heres some images with just the scope A006 - 20140416_100048 (2).jpg A001 - 20140416_095457 (2).jpg heres some images with controlled light A007 - 20140416_100110 (2).jpg A005 - 20140416_095642 (2).jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  20. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

sorry Rick , to me this looks like the wrong type doubling to be worth anything. notice how it is flattened down on the field of the coin. maybe I'm wrong but it sure does not look like a doubled die coin.

21. 19Lyds

But........but.........but.............James Motley has looked at it.

BTW, James Motley is a CONECA Board Member.

http://conecaonline.org/leaders.html

(See Post #13)

Draft saved Draft deleted